Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dude, Jones-Brook has got to be a candidate for FOTY!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
    I have no difficulty with anything. Understand this, is it correct that to you world titles don't mean anything??

To me, world titles mean something. They separate the class of fighter.

I haven't elevated Brooks skillset over Khan in the slightest. I didn't mention skillset at all. I said IMO he beats Khan. Now you're comparing something else yet again.

I simply believe Brook is a better fighter than Khan to me. That's not comparing skillset. BTW skills don't always win fights.

world titles are meaningless

100% meaningless. they exist to sell tickets, promote fights, and make money.

there are four of them, and you dont even have to be one of the best four fighters in a division to get one

some organizations split them up (interim, silver, diamond, royal sampler, what have you,)
    they strip fighters for any reason they feel like
    they favor certain fighters, nationalities, promotors, networks, etc

they mean nothing, man
    nothing.

now, if you want to look at a lineal champion, you are likely talking about a ban man. those titles mean something

that's the guy who beat the guy. if the lineage is broken (a fighter moves up, retires, is injured or laid off for a period of more than a year, ,) ideally there is a box off between the two best fighters in the division. that starts up the lineage again.

obviously things get in the way, but that's the ideal scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
      world titles are meaningless

100% meaningless. they exist to sell tickets, promote fights, and make money.

there are four of them, and you dont even have to be one of the best four fighters in a division to get one

some organizations split them up (interim, silver, diamond, royal sampler, what have you,)
      they strip fighters for any reason they feel like
      they favor certain fighters, nationalities, promotors, networks, etc

they mean nothing, man
      nothing.

now, if you want to look at a lineal champion, you are likely talking about a ban man. those titles mean something

that's the guy who beat the guy. if the lineage is broken (a fighter moves up, retires, is injured or laid off for a period of more than a year, ,) ideally there is a box off between the two best fighters in the division. that starts up the lineage again.

obviously things get in the way, but that's the ideal scenario.
      Your opinion bro. I remember being in the gym, everyone dreamed of being a world champion. That's how I view titles to this day.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
        A FOTY candidate is something you rewatch from start to finish. This fight is only good from round 6 to 12.

actaully, a foty canidate is one of the best fights for the calendar year. there are no qualifications other than that. they're evaluated via comparison to the other fights in the calendar year.

for instance, the fight of the year last year according to the ring magazine was berto and ortiz. that fight dropped off seriously after six rounds. it was still among the best fights of the year. both men traded bombs and went down seriously hurt.

that was one of the best fights of 2012.

so far this has been a pretty sh#t year for action fights. many fights have been cancelled, postponed, fighters are becoming more defensive, there aren't many punchers at the top of the game, etc.

Comment

I gotta see it now

Comment

Carson Jones was a solid step up...but he's still Carson Jones. Brook just went life and death with Carson Jones, let's not get hard over it.

Really good fight, no doubt. Not FOTY though. And while I've been a Brook advocate for a while now, I was not all that impressed. Good offensive arsenal, but goes through inexplicable lulls, I can't tell if it's a stamina thing or just a lack of focus.

Neither guy beats Alexander, Bradley or Khan at this point though. No way.

Comment

Originally posted by revs1227 View Post
              I gotta see it now
              You will not regret it. Brook got his nose broken & Jones brought the heat in the 2nd half of the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
                Carson Jones was a solid step up...but he's still Carson Jones. Brook just went life and death with Carson Jones, let's not get hard over it.

Really good fight, no doubt. Not FOTY though. And while I've been a Brook advocate for a while now, I was not all that impressed. Good offensive arsenal, but goes through inexplicable lulls, I can't tell if it's a stamina thing or just a lack of focus.

Neither guy beats Alexander, Bradley or Khan at this point though. No way.
                The broken nose had to have an effect on him.

Comment

Your opinion bro. I remember being in the gym, everyone dreamed of being a world champion. That's how I view titles to this day.
                  my opinion of them (that they are meaningless and that i dont care for them,) is my opinion.

the fact they they exist in multitude only to promote fights, sell tickets, and make money for networks, promotors, venues, and the sanctioning bodies, is a fact and not an opinion

that's why they are there.

i agree that they do mean something to almost every fighter. that's a byproduct of it. more fighters can become world champoins.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    my opinion of them (that they are meaningless and that i dont care for them,) is my opinion.

the fact they they exist in multitude only to promote fights, sell tickets, and make money for networks, promotors, venues, and the sanctioning bodies, is a fact and not an opinion

that's why they are there.

i agree that they do mean something to almost every fighter. that's a byproduct of it. more fighters can become world champoins.
                    Yes, I do agree that they are used out of context, especially with star fighters, in the business of boxing, which these (new) fans support. But that feeling in the gym those 15 years ago about lifting 1 over my head will never leave me.

Comment

I'll start by saying that Jones from yesterday beats, Berto, Ortiz, M Jones & even Amir Khan IMO. Especially Khan who folds like a burrito under pressure. He fought hard & took those late rounds with toughness & grit. His stamina & body punching were fabulous.

Now for Brook, he showed toughness & heart. He fought back through a broken nose & still threw combinations in every late fight rally that he could muster. He moved away skillfully under pressure & he made the final bell on heart alone.

I don't see how anyone could think that Khan beats Brook. Furthermore that Jones from last night probably runs Khan out of the ring. That fight was amazing. I advise anyone who hasn't seen it to get it somehow, great, great fight. Answers a lot of questions about both fighters. I want to see Khan fight Jones when he comes to welterweight.

Here he goes again. LOL

Comment

Working...
                      X