Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Latest Ring Magazine JWW Rankings (as of Aug 8, 2010): "Khan overtakes Alexander"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really look to ring for ratings. I could see if they dropped devon in their p4p list which is mthical, but to drop him in a fight that he won is just dumb and illogical. Only way you should be able to move up the rankings is if you beat the guy ahead of you or your the top fighter in the sport.

Because afterall khan beat malignaggi who had been off and on for awhile now, other than that he ain't beat nobody but an old barrera and kotelnik. He don't really deserve #2 spot

Comment

Originally posted by htown00 View Post
      i wonder if they would change the rankings if Alexander dominates the bum Prescott.
      Of course not. Prescott has already been outboxed easily by Mitchell, who isn't in the same class as Khan is in now. Khan has improved dramatically since he lost to Prescott. The version of Khan who lost to Prescott would also have been knocked out by Kotelnik.

Comment

Originally posted by cortdawg25 View Post
        Only way you should be able to move up the rankings is if you beat the guy ahead of you or your the top fighter in the sport.
        That's just ridiculous. No one (but you) does their rankings that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Ducketts View Post
          Ring mag is the worst now. They let politics and fans influence their call. No logic at all. Ring mag is the Dana White of boxing magazines...
          Originally posted by southcentralcar View Post
          ^^^^ agree
          Based on what? If it was politics or fans, Ortiz would certainly be in their top 10.

Their moving down of Alexander by one spot after an unconvincing win in which many felt he should have lost, against a fighter who was recently completely dominated by Khan, is completely logical. And it's only one spot, and it's only until his next fight. If he beats Bradley, he'll be their #1.
          Last edited by Dave Rado; 08-10-2010, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Ducketts View Post
            Khan got a shot at Kotelnik strictly on the strength of Roach's name-damn shame.
            Rubbish - he got a shot because Kotelnik wanted a good payday in a voluntary defence, and that's how boxing has always worked. Kotelnik got his biggest payday of his career up to that point.

And whether he had earned the shot or not is irrelevant - all that matters is whether he took advantage of it or not - and he did. He nearly shut Kotelnik out, winning at least ten rounds, which proves he was good enough to deserve to be in the fight.

Comment

Out of curiousity...what is the Ring basing this on???? That's TERRIBLE.

Comment

Originally posted by dave rado View Post
                that's just ridiculous. No one (but you) does their rankings that way.
                well more people should become ridiculous and do their rankings that way. Afterall, a ranking should be earned atleast right.

If i'm ranked #5 and i beat #3, i should move atleast to #4. If i'm #3 and i beat #5, i should atleast remain #3, afterall i did win!

Comment

Ortiz should be about No.6, just above Urango apart from that it's pretty accurate, there is not much to choose between Khan and Alexander but Bradley should be No.1 as he has been the man at 140 for a while.

Comment

Ortiz should be on the list but apart from that it's fine. I wouldn't take the rankings too seriously, they really don't mean anything until they start fighting each other tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by cortdawg25 View Post
                      well more people should become ridiculous and do their rankings that way. Afterall, a ranking should be earned atleast right.

If i'm ranked #5 and i beat #3, i should move atleast to #4. If i'm #3 and i beat #5, i should atleast remain #3, afterall i did win!
                      In your second example, if you win extremely unconvincingly, and in the opinion of some experts, were lucky to get the decision at all; and if the guy who is #4 had recently beaten the same guy easily, then there is a strong case for the guy who is #4 being ranked above you.

Of course rankings have to be earned - but to say that the only way of moving up is to beat someone listed higher than you is just not how any credible rankings have ever worked. If that was how they worked, Andre Ward would never have even got into the Super 6 tournament because at that stage he had never beaten any ranked fighter. He got into the rankings due to a long list of impressive victories over nobodies and has-beens - but he's since proven that his ranking was fully justified.
                      Last edited by Dave Rado; 08-10-2010, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X