No announcement yet.

Khan Would Trouble 2005 Floyd, But Gets Dominated By 2011 Floyd

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Khan Would Trouble 2005 Floyd, But Gets Dominated By 2011 Floyd

Yes, I know this is counter-intuitive. I'm saying that Amir Khan would give a younger Floyd many more problems than he gives an older Floyd. Here's why:

When Floyd was younger, he relied much more on his physical gifts and athleticism. "Old Floyd" fought almost exclusively out of that modified Philly Shell (Floyd doesn't use a "real" Philly Shell). "New Floyd" fights mostly out of the high guard. In fact, when I see Floyd fighting now, he reminds me of Winky beating Tito.

If you go back to round 2 onward of Mayweather/Judah, and to the Hatton fight, and to almost all of the Mosley fight, Floyd is in the high guard, and stalking and pumping left left hooks and perfectly-timed hard rights.

Amir Khan is a very fast, athletic fighter. I'm impressed with his athleticism. But I also notice that he cannot fight going backwards. Most athletic guys can't. Or don't. They just back away from the assault. Floyd used to do that, and it earned him the "runner" tag.

But current Floyd stands pretty flat-footed. He seems very strong physically while still having fast hands and upper body.

Floyd will just walk Amir Khan down and punish him with hard shots and probably knock him out around 10.

This is how "New Floyd" fights:

I think to beat Khan Floyd would need to out box Amir with movement and counterpunching... Amir's height, reach, and speed would be a problem for Floyd just coming straight at him like it was for Zab last night...

Comment

To be honest I think any version of Floyd knocks Khan out. I see what you mean with the Winky comparison...high guard, lead right hands(or lefts in Winky's case). Floyd would make Khan VERY gun shy and a tentative Khan is a KO waiting to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Easy View Post
        I think to beat Khan Floyd would need to out box Amir with movement and counterpunching... Amir's height, reach, and speed would be a problem for Floyd just coming straight at him like it was for Zab last night...
        I disagree, I think Floyd would need to close the distance with his hands up.

Box him, yes.. but while coming forward because Khan still gets happy feet when someone gets close.

Movement is barely in Floyd's repertoire at 35+.

35+ by the time he faces Khan.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Easy View Post
          One thing I noticed about Floyd in the Mosley fight is that he's WAY longer than I think I ever realized. He would throw lead right hands that I thought would fall way short and would end up landing flush. It's something that really benefits his new style.

Comment

I think the 2005 version of Floyd TKO's Khan...

The 2011 version might him a Mosley-like beating...cuz Floyd doesn't put his punches together anymore (single accurate shots)

Khan runs in throwing straight punches over and over again...I think Floyd would definitely exploit that...

I'm not sure why Floyd has altered his style in a way...not sure if he'll do it against Ortiz (even tho he says he will)...there may be some truth into his legs being slower or at least not the same...he is getting older
            Last edited by -EX-; 07-24-2011, 12:39 PM.

Comment

i think 2005 floyd was better than current floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by Left Hook Tua View Post
                i think 2005 floyd was better than current floyd.
                It depends.

2011 Floyd wouldn't put a Gatti-type beating on Gatti. Floyd isn't that Tasmanian Devil anymore.

But 2005 Floyd wouldn't have dominated Shane THAT badly because he wouldn't have sat in the pocket as much.

But we really see Floyd's technical ability and versatility coming into play now.

Comment

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
                  One thing I noticed about Floyd in the Mosley fight is that he's WAY longer than I think I ever realized. He would throw lead right hands that I thought would fall way short and would end up landing flush. It's something that really benefits his new style.
                  He gets the most out of his size by the way he does his pullcounters. Bends forward at the waist when launching that right hand.

and turns fully sideways when shooting the left hook.

Stays out of range, and throws the right from pretty far out.

Comment

Any version of Floyd pretty much dominates Khan and stops him. Khan will be lucky to win 3 rounds.

Comment

Working...
                    X