No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Insider Notebook: Mares' Rise, Arum Talks Competition

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Insider Notebook: Mares' Rise, Arum Talks Competition

By Robert Morales - Abner Mares is not one to boast. But when he was asked Wednesday if he could have imagined he would be standing here today having won major championships in three weight classes and be a legitimate top 10 pound-for-pound fighter, he reminded a reporter that it could have happened even sooner.

"You know what? I'm going to answer this honestly," Mares said after a workout at Elite Martial Arts Academy in Santa Fe Springs, Calif. "I could have been champion way before, but we all know what happened when I had the surgery (for a detached retina) when I was out for about a year (from June 2008 to May 2009). I could have been champion then.

"But I'm the type of guy that thinks and believes in God and believes that everything happens for a reason. I'm here now, more mature, a married man, I've got two daughters, I'm centered, I've got my feet on the ground, I think, more clearly. There couldn't be a better time to be a champion than now. I'm a three-time world champion, thank God, at a great time in my career, my life and it's now just taking advantage of my young years because you know how it is. Boxing years are fast, they go by fast and you've gotta take full advantage of them." [Click Here To Read More]

Competition is good, always.
    Unfortunately this is coopetition -- the third big promoting actor is missing.

Comment

Ole Uncle Bob, full of **** as usual!

Comment

Comment

Man, It's a shame Mares isn't as hyped as certain other fighters. The young man's a class act. Warr Mares, forever a fan!! Ohh yeah, fock arum.

Comment

Haysoos

This could get out of hand and hurt the sport seriously in the future. Kinda builds up to an apex and then one company takes devastating losses. Like the WCW/WWF competition. Showtime looks good for the immediate future, especially with this mega fight card on September 14th.

Comment

Seems like Arum loves the arrangement exactly as is.

Comment

Originally posted by megadeth View Post
                Haha yeah, it's funny to hear him put Alvarado (tough B-level fighter at best) - Provo (one-dimensional ESPN gangbuster) on the same level as Matthysse-Garcia (two world champs).

Anybody notice the circular Arum-logic? Top Rank is losing big time right now. Knockout Kings 2 was a grand slam. Those were three amazing fights. It was funny to see Thurman doing his thing on Showtime and then thinking back to the days when Max Kellerman was licking his nuts on HBO. Haha

Comment

Arum is right though it is not about like or dislike for him anyways, it is about him having an extreme aversion to letting GBP (or anyone for that matter but with GBP it is most apparent) get over on him thus really getting the upper hand. The status quo is perfectly fine for Arum, but if his guys start losing a bunch of fights to GBP fighters that changes things drastically. It doesn't matter that he has a chance to gain something because the risk to his place is too great.

I would also say Arum is real smart and he knows he doesn't have tons of world beaters on his roster and the ones he does have like Rigondeaux are casualties because they aren't high priorities so why would GBP help him out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushbaby View Post
                    Man, It's a shame Mares isn't as hyped as certain other fighters. The young man's a class act. Warr Mares, forever a fan!! Ohh yeah, fock arum.
                    maybe if mares was a loudmouth who would talk nonsense and say it himself he's the best pound for pound like some do,and wear flashy trunks and just talk crap,maybe he'd get up there..it's not your skills but who you face and defeat that should get you ranked,,,,these are the type of fighters that should get all the publicity not others who get it without facing tough fighters

Comment

Working...
                    X