Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much higher will TRINIDAD had been ranked. If he didn't retire after B HOP. and

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trinidad's power was legit at 160. He destroyed Joppy prior to the Hopkins fight, so he belonged there, its just that he got systematically dismantled by an ATG Middleweight who for many was the underdog going into that fight. He probably would've cleaned out the division if it weren't for Bernard.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
      I agree that Tito should have stayed at 154, that was an ideal weight for him but it seemed he just didn't want to struggle to make weight or something. However, I do think Hopkins beating him was a pretty big victory, I mean Tito looked pretty darn good against Joppy at MW just prior to the Hopkins fight.
      At that time he wasn't struggling making 154. And, that was the perfect weight for him.

But, he was chasing Roy. Now we see how Roy is ending in his career. But, in 2000/2001 Roy was a pretty big deal. And, that is what Tito was chasing, it was to the MW tournament and then fight Roy at a catch-weight. Even Roy was making comments about a potential Tito match up. He was up for it. Hopkins ruined that.

Comment

Originally posted by Roman Moreno View Post
        At that time he wasn't struggling making 154. And, that was the perfect weight for him.

But, he was chasing Roy. Now we see how Roy is ending in his career. But, in 2000/2001 Roy was a pretty big deal. And, that is what Tito was chasing, it was to the MW tournament and then fight Roy at a catch-weight. Even Roy was making comments about a potential Tito match up. He was up for it. Hopkins ruined that.
        Thanks for clearing that up Moreno. But at that time Roy was at 175 so was Tito planning on moving that high up or were they gonna meet at a catchweight?

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up Moreno. But at that time Roy was at 175 so was Tito planning on moving that high up or were they gonna meet at a catchweight?
          yea there were going to meet at 168 or maybe even 170. But, I remember Roy coming to168.

Comment

catch weight.

Tito lost his mind though, he shoulda just cleaned 154

I honestly favor Tito to truely give Oscar a real legit beat down in a rematch if TITO just stayed at 154.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHayeMaker View Post
              Ya WRIGHT had a bad style for Trinidad., the big thing about Tito is that 1-he retired at age 29. and 2- he went up to MW.

People keep saying he was a legit MW. No he wasn't, he fought once at MW, then he fought Hopkins. I have no idea why people keep crediting Hopkins for beating a one fight MW guy who is just a blown up big 154...
              yeah why does hagler get credit for beating hearns he was just a blown up big 147. And Duran? just a blown up big 130. What a bum losing to leonard. he was just a blown up big 147? And how about that bum cotto, margarito, hatton delahoya, mosley, he lost to a blown up bantamweight. Why does riddick bowe get any credit all he did was beat a blown up big cruiser weight in holyfeild. and don't even get me started on that bum larry holmes. he couldnt even beat blown up big 175.

DUNBAZZ

Comment

This is a good question I was asked. Trinidad

retired arguably in the prime of his career at age 29, after his loss to Hopkins.

The comebacks were too late, tbh and you can't just take a break like that. How much further could Trinidad had gone ? If he went back down to his 154 weight and just kept fighting until his mid 30's.

I was looking at the 'rankings' during the period of time Trinidad would have been 29-35 years of age. They were mostly Shane Mosley , Ouma, Phillips, Wright, Oscar, Vargas, Spinks.

I am confident, Trinidad could have taken all of them. (oscar and Vargas in rematches) **** he might even have caught Floyd in 06-07, but I highly doubt Trinidad would have made weight by then.
                I agree with you. He had some personal problems that negatively effected his performance against Hopkins. For a fighter who had been on top and never lost, the Hopkins loss took something out of him mentally. He became obsessed with getting a rematch with Hopkins. When Hopkins would not give him a rematch that took some more out of him.If he had done what you said and returned to his proper weight of 154, forgot about Hopkins, stayed active, and focused on ruling that weight I think he could have raised his all time great position 10 or 15 places on some people's lists. I agree if he had done this he could have defeated anyone at 154 with the possible exception of Wright, who was a great fighter at 154 himself. Alot would depend on him getting big fights. Oscar never wanted any part of him in a rematch and we both know why.He is already high on my all time great list for what he did before Hopkins.

Comment

trinidad fought cherifi after hopkins. hopkins didn't want to give him a rematch. thats why he retired. he didn't just quit because he lost.

Comment

catch weight.

Tito lost his mind though, he shoulda just cleaned 154

I honestly favor Tito to truely give Oscar a real legit beat down in a rematch if TITO just stayed at 154.
                    As a big Trinidad fan who followed his career closely I agree with what you said. But Tito was very ambitious and thought he could go on to beat Roy Jones. He was favored to beat Hopkins because he was so impressive beating Joppy. Few realize how good Hopkins was,myself included. Oscar made sure there was never a rematch by pricing himself out big time.

Comment

There is something that nobody has mentioned, perhaps because it was more evident here in Puerto Rico than anywhere else. While I understand that retiring after one loss may suggest a certain lack of character and heart, the problem with Trinidad was that he was very much controlled by his father/trainer. Several times his dad said that he would not train him anymore and Trinidad, immediately, decided to retire. He refused to even consider the idea of having a new trainer. I think this was one of the biggest mistakes Trinidad made. He could have switched trainers or, at the very least, try some new approaches offered by new personnel. He might have achieved even more great things.

Comment

Working...
                      X