No announcement yet.

Why the beef with wikipedia?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why the beef with wikipedia?

It's a great reference point for just about anything. 90% of the time the citations link you to actual studies that are discussed within the greater article. So what is the problem with people using wikipedia? If you need a quick synopsis of anything go to wikipedia...Or is it really that important for you to know what kind of methodology was used in the study etc...?

Does it hurt the ego of others because it is so easy to access and use? That's how all information should be...not hidden away in the dark stacks of some intimidating university library....

More and more I notice people say "where did you look that up? wikipedia?"....yes I did so what?

Just ask Bernard Humphrey Hopkins!

Comment

Just because some people can edit it it's like people try to discredit everything about the site. I never got all the hate myself.

Comment

Originally posted by SkillspayBills View Post
        Just because some people can edit it it's like people try to discredit everything about the site. I never got all the hate myself.
        Correct me if I am wrong but didnt they try to fix the whole editing thing? As far as I know its not that easy to just make an account and edit an article.

Comment

I always change tom selliks name to danny hanson once a week.

Comment

Wiki is a horrible source of anything reliable, its just like reading this forum strictly for you boxing. Sure theres a lot of truth and facts here, but after you leave, you'd think Pac and Floyd were just some bum fighters

Its great for the citation thing you referred to, that how i get most of my sources, i go through the wiki citations. But they're wiki citations and if a page doesnt have any, then you have no idea if its true.

But thats for school and professional info, if you wanna use it for to research random things, theres absolutely nothing wrong with it

Comment

Love wiki, use it myself. Nothing wrong with it.

Comment

For once, it's been proven over and over that there have been many occasions that information contained in Wikipedia is false. There really is no way to regulate everything in Wikipedia since there are so many people who add and change information on there. While a lot of the information there is valid, with many supported by citations, there also have been many cases that things have been false because people maliciously change the information there because they can.

This is why it is not considered as a credible source.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with it. It's the largest source of information material readily available to anybody at anytime.

Comment

it turns me the fuck on

Comment

Working...
                    X