No announcement yet.

Dylan the Boxer;

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dylan the Boxer;

Dude apparently has a private gym in Malibu or somewhere in or around L.A.; he's apparently fought cats like Quentin Tarantino (tapped that ass) and Sean Penn (outcome unknown).

Seem too surreal to be true??

Word is that Paul Simon wrote 'The Boxer' as a criticism of Dylan (which would explain Dylan's hilariously half-assed cover of it on 'Self Portrait'). If you look into that, you'll find references to Dylan's gym in google.

Here's a page from expectingrain.com/discussions/ (the I'm-so-into-Dylan-that-I-don't-have-a-life forum) with some interesting links,

http://expectingrain.com/discussions...628e2a98dd7533

I guess writing about boxers now and again got him more interested in the sport gradually. Certainly, he came a long way with the sport after the heavyhanded, kinda naive commentary of 'Who Killed Davey Moore' (which he somewhat distanced himself from later on).

cool story. u hit up the music forums to?

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
      cool story. u hit up the music forums to?
      Not as much as I used to. I used to hit up expectingrain.com/discussions/ for the awesome bootleg download section they had there a ways back, but I never posted or even read threads there. Just found that thread in google.

Used to read other music forums, though. Still pop back to a couple places to read now and then.

This forum is my only regular haunt for posting.

Comment

Nice find! Never seemed to me like he had the frame for a boxer. Looked like a strong breeze could push him over.

Comment

Originally posted by Stones! View Post
          Nice find! Never seemed to me like he had the frame for a boxer. Looked like a strong breeze could push him over.
          Aknooo.

I was surprised myself. And I thought I'd read a bit on Dylan. Took a sparring partner on the road??

Comment

LOL, he probably thinks he's a hard-man or something, that scene in the hotel before he and Donovan sang, he was doing a lot of posturing. How much does he weigh? Looks somewhere between 135 & 147 if he trained.

Comment

Originally posted by Stones! View Post
              LOL, he probably thinks he's a hard-man or something, that scene in the hotel before he and Donovan sang, he was doing a lot of posturing. How much does he weigh? Looks somewhere between 135 & 147 if he trained.
              No idea, man. He probably didn't have a serious interest in lacing on gloves by that point, though. Guessing that came a fair while later, LOL.

If Simon did write his song as a criticism of Dylan, then the boxer is obviously just a symbolic image rather than a nod to Bobby's secret fistic life.

Just googling for info on that brought up the stuff about his gym and the sparring partner and all. I've got time for some of his work, and he's a top-draw film historian as well as maker, but Tarantino's a prick and I'd love to have been a fly on the wall of that gym when Bobby dropped him.

Comment

yea he used to box at the gym i go to in oakland called kings gym which is also andre wards gym.

Comment

That said...for the act of crass faggotry that was 'Neighborhood Bully', I'd love to have seen Sean Penn drop Bobby on his ass.

"I was shadow boxing earlier in the day, I figured I was ready for Cassius Clay
                  I said fee, fie, fo, fum, Cassius Clay, here I come
                  26, 27, 28, 29, I'm gonna make your face look just like mine
                  Five, four, three, two, one, Cassius Clay you'd better run
                  99, 100, 101, 102, your ma won't even recognize you
                  14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, gonna knock him clean right out of his spleen..."

Comment

Originally posted by oaklandstephen View Post
                    yea he used to box at the gym i go to in oakland called kings gym which is also andre wards gym.
                    Seriously? You've seen him in there??

Comment

Working...
                    X