Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

should Wlad vs Pianeta be a non title fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yea but he's undefeated!

They all cry as Wlad & Vitali match-up against poor opposition who've built their records against journeyman. Charr made me cringe when he was announced, Pianeta...words cannot convey my feeling on this bout. I understand the division is weak but Pianeta is levels below the sort of opponent Wlad should be facing.

He was lucky to get the draw against Sosnowski.

Comment

Heavyweight Champions of yesteryear have granted title shots to lesser known or perceived non deserving opponents, so this is nothing new. In fact, I don't know of a heavyweight who took a nontitle fight during their respective reigns.

A quick glance at Larry Holmes' record shows that he faced numerous 'nobodies' during his hw reign. Here's a few:

Scott Frank 20-0-1
      Marvis Frasier 10-0
      Lucien Rodriguez 35-7-1
      Lorenzo Zanon 25-4-2

I'm no boxing historian but I can tell ya that these guys weren't that good and far from elite challengers.

Also, who can forget Ali selected journeyman/fringe contender Chuck Wepner as a "title defense."

In conclusion this title defense against an unheralded fighter like Pianeta is hardly unprecedented...

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
        Heavyweight Champions of yesteryear have granted title shots to lesser known or perceived non deserving opponents, so this is nothing new. In fact, I don't know of a heavyweight who took a nontitle fight during their respective reigns.

A quick glance at Larry Holmes' record shows that he faced numerous 'nobodies' during his hw reign. Here's a few:

Scott Frank 20-0-1
        Marvis Frasier 10-0
        Lucien Rodriguez 35-7-1
        Lorenzo Zanon 25-4-2

I'm no boxing historian but I can tell ya that these guys weren't that good and far from elite challengers.

Also, who can forget Ali selected journeyman/fringe contender Chuck Wepner as a "title defense."

In conclusion this title defense against an unheralded fighter like Pianeta is hardly unprecedented...
        What does unprecedented have to do with anything. A non title fight is the right thing to do against a guy who's never beat a top 20 fighter. Your Ali comment is just silly considering the overall comp he faced. And when I get home I'll look it up, but ha best most of the guys you named for Holmes had at least one win over a top 20 fighter at the time of their title shots. That doesn't make them all that much worthier if that's the case. This is 3 out of Wlads last 4 defenses against guys who are horrible. Horrible in an already weak division does not make you championship worthy. Every one in a while would be understandable, especially Vivien the circumstance of a weak division and top guys avoiding or not ready for Wlad. But when it becomes 3 out of 4 its time to stop padding the title defenses and have a non title fight.

Comment

Who the f**k is he fighting???

Wlad will beat anyone at Heavyweight. But why is he not going directly for Fury, Boytsov, etc??

Comment

Is he the best that is ready to fight Wlad?

Serious question. Wlad's contenders are not only ****, they are becoming more and more reluctant to take the payday and ass-whooping with a smile.

Comment

By the way BostonGuy, why don't you put my poll questions back the way they were. There was nothing wrong with how they were stated. No reason for you to change them except a little Klit criticism gets your panties in a bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post

Scott Frank 20-0-1
                Marvis Frasier 10-0
                Lucien Rodriguez 35-7-1
                Lorenzo Zanon 25-4-2

When Ali fought Wepner.....he was coming off fighting Frazier, Foreman, and Norton 2x, and than proceeded to fight Lyle, Bugner, and Frazier in the trilogy fight. Wlad is coming off fighting Haye (good win), and than Wach, Thompson, and Mormeck......

It's an awful comparison.

Comment

Mods should be objective and not edit a user's poll.

Same geezer that supports Fury & DeGale though so I sense a little confusion in his thought processes.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
                    Wlad has been a good champion. Its not his fault the era he has ruled has been so weak. But should this fight really be for the heavyweight championship of the world? You can't complain about Wlad racking up defenses against weak comp when they're (in this day and age) top contenders who have beaten other contenders and/or top 20 fighters. But guys like Wach, and now Pianeta should be non title fights. I have no problem with Wlad trying to stay busy, but padding your defenses against no hopers who haven't earned the privledge of fighting tor the championship is cheap. I see the usual suspects trying to make this guy out to be a respectable opponent. They gloat that he's undefeated, big and in his prime. But when you dig a little deeper you realize he has fought a few washed up fighters and guys who won't even be considered journeymen in a couple of years. His best win is a draw against Sosnowski and he is 3-3-1 since they fought. And you you watch Pianeta fight he's slow and amateurish. This should be a non title fight. It will be nothing more than a sparring match until Wlad drops the hammer on him.
                    I recall reading more than once that the heavyweight champion can only fight title fights or exhibitions, but not a non-title fight. I believe that the reason was that whilst other champions could fight non-title fights by having one contestant weigh in over the limit, this didn't apply with heavyweights. I don't know if this is still valid.

Another little sidenote; In the days of "non-title" fights, the only way any champion could lose his title was by KO. I know that Benny Leonard won his title that way, KO ing freddie Welsh.

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
                      I'm a big fan of Wladimir but he isn't doing his legacy much good taking these stay busy fights.

Okay a lot of guys ''aren't ready'' and all that but surely there is better guys available than the likes of Thompson rematch, Mormeck, Pianeta and even Wach.

Fury, Pulev, Povetkin, Jennings, surely somebody a bit more meaningful and deserving is ready.

Pianeta isn't worthy of lacing Wlads boots but I suppose it'll have to do until Price, Fury, Glazkov and that feel they're ready.
                      Well you have an option he fights these guys or not fight at all till bigger challenge comes. I really like Wlad for being an active champion. He will fight those top contenders as well but in the meantime he can beat other undefeated fighters.

I hate when champions decide to fight once per year. Beating any fighter can't do harm as long you beat better as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X