No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Schaefer: Mayweather-Canelo Could Break PPV Records

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Schaefer: Mayweather-Canelo Could Break PPV Records

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer has a very good feeling about the possibility that Floyd Mayweather Jr. (44-0, 26KOs) vs. Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (42-0-1, 30KOs) will break pay-per-view records on September 14th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Schaefer was able to finalize the fight on Wednesday night, as the unbeaten boxers will battle for the WBC/WBA Unified/Ring junior middleweight titles at a catch-weight of 152-pounds.

Mayweather's pay-per-view fight against Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero, which took place on May 4th, will exceed 1 million pay-per-view buys, according to Schaefer and Showtime Sports VP Stephen Espinoza. [Click Here To Read More]

It will do 2 mil buys easy!! Maybe break the record if they load up the card. You put Mares and Broner on that card then u got 2.5

Comment

I doubt it. Canelo is not that big of a star right now and Showtime doesnt promote aswell as HBO.

Comment

1.8 should be the most it does.

Comment

Oh its definetly got a chance at breakin the record i say garenteed breakes the two milly range 2.4 is doable.
          U put two more fights with titles on the line it blows 2.4 out the water!!!!

Comment

It might break the 2m barrier but i feel if it was done in May and Canelo had a win over Cotto in sep it would've done 500k more. Canelo is well known to us boxing fans but i'v had a couple casual fans asking me who he is after the fight was announced

Comment

i dunno it could, everyone around here is going nuts over this fight being made and most of them hardly know anything about boxing lol and once people find out canelo (only due to size) stands a chance to win that will build it up even more. canelo is popular far more than floyds last few opponents and hes young undefeated and stands a decent chance if he shows up fight night.

Comment

Is Mayweather ever in a fight that Schaefer doesn't predict will break PPV records?

He predicted Floyd-Mosley would do 3-4 million.

Comment

The fight should do 1.5 easily.
                  Mayweather single handily carried the PPV for Guerrero and it did 1 million without a lot of support from the Mexican audience. With the Mexican audience it could probably do about 1.8~1.9.
                  Hopefully they do a better job of promoting the fight this time.

Comment

No way will it break records, unless the price is $20 per buy.

Oscar was a household name, and Floyd was very, very popular.

Floyd is now in the position Oscar was at the time of their fight (to a lesser extent) and Canelo, like Mayweather at the time, also to a much lesser extent.

I think it'll be Floyd's most watched fight 2nd only to the DLH fight. Plus wasn't that fight 10 or 15 dollars cheaper than the $70 going rate for Floyd's PPVs now?

Comment

Working...
                    X