Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miguel Cotto vs. Ricky Hatton at 140 pounds. Who would have won?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
    Margarito fought at 147 at the time when Cotto was 140.
    Yes, but that's not what I asked. How do you think Hatton would have done in a fight against Margarito? Say at 147?
    Last edited by PinoyNation; 10-03-2012, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Honestly it would've been a great fight at 140lbs back in like 05...

I think if it became an inside brawl Hatton may have a slight edge because he could dig the body and throw nice short hooks!..

Cotto would have to be smart and jab a lot..but if Hatton could get in..I'd see Hatton having the edge..it took me a while to appreciate Hatton..but he was far from a slouch and was a BEAST at 140lbs..

Comment

Cotto was a beast at 140 ... Hatton wouldn't have lasted beyond 8rds.

Comment

Originally posted by PinoyNation View Post
          Yes, but that's not what I asked. How do you think Hatton would have done in a fight against Margarito? Say at 147?
          The question in the thread though is at 140 between Cotto and Hatton. Also, Margarito is a different style than Cotto so I don't see your point.

Comment

Would have been a very good and interesting fight at 140. But I'd pick hatton, but that's just me, simply because 140 isn't Cotto's best weight and I wouldn't consider him at the best of his game at 140. He wasn't prime at 140. He was young and green and shaky and inexperience. Prime Hatton was really a dificult and nightmare style to handle especially if you have a lot of flaws in your defense which Cotto really had at 140. Prime Hatton would bully you, would pressure you, would wrestle you and would walk to your punches and wouldn't make you breath for a second because thats his style, some people say its not boxing, but it is what it is. And don't get me wrong prime hatton has the chin at 140 and I doubt cotto had that there, i mean not on that level.

prime hatton beats a 140 green cotto.

and lets not forget that up until now, cotto is known to be someone who folds when pressured, we all saw that even at margarito-cotto II, floyd-cotto 12th round and pac-cotto

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
              The question in the thread though is at 140 between Cotto and Hatton. Also, Margarito is a different style than Cotto so I don't see your point.
              My point is that Cotto went on to fight and do well against some very big punchers at higher weights.

Hatton didn't do so hot above 140 and his chin wasn't the best since he got rocked by Collazo.

That's just something to take into consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by PinoyNation View Post
                My point is that Cotto went on to fight and do well against some very big punchers at higher weights.

Hatton didn't do so hot above 140 and his chin wasn't the best since he got rocked by Collazo.

That's just something to take into consideration.
                Cotto got rocked too by smaller guys. Works both ways. Plus you act as if people have the same bodies. Some just could stay at the same weight longer than others and some have the luxury to move up several.

Comment

Perfect thread for people to get carried away. Top Rank became protective of Cotto after the Torres fight. They wouldn't match him with anybody who could crack for almost two years following. During that time there was a prevailing view that Hatton would ruin him. This was of course during the same period Hatton was steamrolling the opposition. If this is 2004 or 2005, when the fight made sense, I personally would probably pick Hatton and feel comfortable with that pick. People forget about Hatton. Revisionists doing what they do.

Comment

cotto is an technically sound boxer but hatton was a beast at 140 and lost just once in that division, to pacquiao. cotto has a hard time handling fighters with contant aggression but does a very good record against undefeated opposition. cotto wins by close SD. i can see both men tasting the canvas

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Fantastic
                      Quote:

Originally Posted by jtcs1981

LOL. The bold is funny. We are from the same area in Caguas. We went to the same middle school. He was making noises when he was an amateur. He is the pride of my town so no, the bold is non-sense.

Like I said before, you are trying to imply Cotto is not any better than Hatton. That is a lie. Based on a belt? The guy fought tougher competition. Are you really arguing that? Torres is a soft hitter? LOL. You know Bailey right? He is consider one of the hardest punchers in boxing. That healthy Cotto beats Hatton IMO and takes that title away. Unfortunately for Cotto, Hatto was making big money over there and there was no need to match up against the best in the division.

BTW, I'm no saying Cotto is a Great fighter. But he is better than you want to admit.

Not only on the belt but different situations....you're basing it like Cotto has fought till now compared to Hatton. A 140 Cotto had much more flaws than what he is now. There is a reason why Cotto didn't fight Hatton. Bailey sucks though and I never said Torres was a soft hitter, you're making that up yourself. Hatton was just on another level than someone like Torres and you can ask any credible poster that's not a Cotto fanatic and I'm sure they'd tell you the same.
                      You always pick whatever makes your point valid. You will miss Cotto more than us. The healthy Cotto at 140 (Ndou, Pinto, Bailey) is not the same Cotto that was hurt by Corley and Torres. There is a difference between a fighter that work hard and a boxer that likes to drink like Cotto. The stories in our town are not the same thing you read around here.

Anyways, not going to argue against you. When you cant see that at that point @ 140 Cotto faced better competition than Hatton (other than Kotsa), then you are either bias toward Hatton or your love for Cotto is special.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Working...
                      X