No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Channel 5 Has 'No Plans To Show Boxing At The Moment'

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Channel 5 Has 'No Plans To Show Boxing At The Moment'

British boxing fans now know how those lovelorn 'My partner dumped me via a text message' types feel. Similarly informal means were utilized to inform the masses, as Channel 5 in the U.K. took to Twitter on Monday afternoon to reveal nonexistent plans to remain in the boxing business in the immediate future.

“[T]here are no plans to show boxing at the moment. But we'll let you know if that changes,” the network claimed through its Twitter account when responding to a Tweet sent by a boxing fan called @hammerman1300. [Click Here To Read More]

ffs, i thought its ratings for boxing were damn good but i wasnt paying much attention so maybe they werent as good as i thought. Thats a kick in the teeth for De Gale and Eubank jnr who signed with Hennessy to get mainstream attention. Hopefully Fury's fight with USS goes ahead as planned and Mick can get another freeview channel to show his fights.

Comment

more for boxnation - hopefully

Comment

Originally posted by House of Stone View Post
        more for boxnation - hopefully
        I doubt Warren would want De Gale on his channel after what they've been through.

Comment

They were showing **** fights to start with.Ratings should have started falling as people were tired o seeing the Eubank boy fighting bums.Some will say 'he's just starting' which is right but when you are just starting you fight in untelevised fights because you will be fighting bums or on some good fighters undercards.Same with DeGale,he's been fighting bums for a long time and I understand when TV stations pull the plug.

Kind of puts things in perspective like when HBO pulled the plug on Canelo.The dude wanted to fight Lopez and honestly there has to be some quality control otherwise fans are short changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jakutindi Wauya View Post
            They were showing **** fights to start with.Ratings should have started falling as people were tired o seeing the Eubank boy fighting bums.Some will say 'he's just starting' which is right but when you are just starting you fight in untelevised fights because you will be fighting bums or on some good fighters undercards.Same with DeGale,he's been fighting bums for a long time and I understand when TV stations pull the plug.

Kind of puts things in perspective like when HBO pulled the plug on Canelo.The dude wanted to fight Lopez and honestly there has to be some quality control otherwise fans are short changed.
            I disagree, they had four prospects, two are moving into world contention (fury, degale) and two were building their careers/fan bases (galahad, eubank). Since theyve been on C5 their comp has been atleast as good as it was before and a lot of the time better. I wouldnt be surprised if this has something to do with the late cancellation of the Degale card. Cancellations have hurt boxing many times and make the sport a far more risky investment than others

Seems a strange time for them to pull out as i dont think it will be long before Fury pulls in some big ratings.

Bring back Big Fight Live on ITV i say
            Last edited by Tom Cruise; 03-19-2013, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Cruise View Post
              I disagree, they had four prospects, two are moving into world contention (fury, degale) and two were building their careers/fan bases (galahad, eubank). Since theyve been on C5 their comp has been atleast as good as it was before and a lot of the time better. I wouldnt be surprised if this has something to do with the late cancellation of the Degale card. Cancellations have hurt boxing many times and make the sport a far more risky investment than others

Seems a strange time for them to pull out as i dont think it will be long before Fury pulls in some big ratings.

Bring back Big Fight Live on ITV i say
              yeah its strange them pulling out when Fury is about 12 months away from a Wlad (or Vitali if he's still around) fight. Especially as they'd more than likely stick it on primetime for £15 a pop. Channel 5 dont even have to waste any money promoting Fury, he can do that himself

Comment

Hennessy will run back to Sky.

Comment

Originally posted by yoz View Post
                  Hennessy will run back to Sky.
                  I would be fine with this! Its about time Sky ended there one promoter contract. Not that Hearn has done anything wrong, but a little competition never hurt anyone!

Does anyone know what this means for Fury vs. Cunningham fight? Will it still be on C5 or has the deal been terminated with immediate effect?

Comment

Originally posted by gingeralbino View Post
                    yeah its strange them pulling out when Fury is about 12 months away from a Wlad (or Vitali if he's still around) fight. Especially as they'd more than likely stick it on primetime for £15 a pop. Channel 5 dont even have to waste any money promoting Fury, he can do that himself
                    definitely true!

Comment

Working...
                    X