Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Danny retiring on Saturday, let's spread some Danny love...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by !! Anorak View Post
    Tell us more, John.
    I started training with Danny when he was about 15/16 there were 2 other really good fighters there a light weight Marcus McCrae who ended up getting stabbed by 3 guys after he beat up a drugs dealer who threatened him with a knife. Marcus got the knife from him and gave him a beating then stabbed the guy in the leg. The guy eventually caught up with Marcus in Brixton chased him into a shop with 2 other guys and he ended getting stabbed in the kidney and other places and was left for dead and that finished his boxing career.
    The other good heavyweight there was Michael Bovell who was built like a light skinned Tyson. He was better than Danny and got the better of the two in sparring but did not have the dedication.
    The coach there was Floyd Alexander who was very technical and a very good motivator. Floyd was a MASSIVE Marvin Hagler fan. He put a lot of time and energy into Danny and gave him the grounding of his career. He thought a lot of Danny but wanted him to liven up more. he allways felt Danny had more in him than he was showing. Getting Danny out of cruise control is not an easy thing to do.
    Danny trained reasonably hard but was always mild mannered and level headed. I never saw him lose his temper he was almost too much of a nice guy and very laid back. He used to watch tapes Jersey Joe Walcott and practice his moves. I remenber talking with him after a workout and he said he would love to fight Tyson one day and beat him. I though he was crazy at the time but when the fight came round I was in Thailand and the time zones meant I would have to watch the fight at an unearthly hour and really did not want to see my old friend beaten up. Danny did really well staying on his feet but in all fairness when I watched the fight there comes a point after Tyson winces that he had no vleverage and there is no question he had some knee ligament injury in that fight that sealed his fate.
    Danny was very religious . He was a Christian at the time not Muslim and was very God fearing. There was never any doubt in my mind that he would walk a straight path. There was no hatred in him or jealousy. He is a really good genuine person.I got the feeling he came from a religious Jamaican family maybe Pentacostal and was devoted to and respectfull of his mother. I imagine he is a very good father. I hope he has looked after his money and does not end up broke like so many other boxers.
    He has actually done a little better than I thought he would. Michael Bovell had he continued to train would have done better but in reality Danny was the constant plodder prepared to do the day in day out work and that is why he got where he is.
    I have not seen Danny for years but one day I will bump into him. He will remember me as he used to get me to hold the heavy bag for him and we had many long chats.He is a nice guy almost too nice for boxing.
    Last edited by John Hue; 05-15-2010, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Good luck Danny, win one more time for us

Comment

Thanks for the info John, I love to hear about Danny, even though my heart is heavy right at this moment.

Comment

poor Danny.

oh well there will always be the glory night against Tyson to remember

Comment

Originally posted by Earl-Hickey View Post
            poor Danny.

oh well there will always be the glory night against Tyson to remember

And Constance Airich where they tried to stitch him up !!

And when he gave it his all against Klitchsko.

Many other good fights can be mentioned like the one where he beat the guy while Fighting with only one Arm.

Long live Danny Williams, Creator of the Universe
            Last edited by The RealDeal; 05-15-2010, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X