No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Rolando Arellano – Steering The Ortiz Ship Into Vegas

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Rolando Arellano – Steering The Ortiz Ship Into Vegas

By Thomas Gerbasi - Long before Rolando Arellano became Victor Ortiz’ manager, he could see the potential in the young amateur boxer.

“You could see his basic fundamentals were there,” said Arellano of the fighter who went on to win 29 of 33 pro bouts and a WBC welterweight title, and who has earned a megafight in the form of Floyd Mayweather this Saturday in Las Vegas. “When you’ve been recruiting and looking at fighters for as long as I have, which in the eyes of some people is not long – like 20 years – you look for some very basic fundamentals. Do they have the heart, are they teachable? And when you see the foundation of a great structure and you know you can build on it and it’s easy to build on it and it doesn’t fight you with all kinds of crap in the street and interference from people like that, only great things can come from something that’s willing to be molded.”

Arellano pauses, but only for a split-second.

“This kid’s got the million dollar smile, he’s got the million dollar story, and I think he can fight like a million dollar fighter,” he continues. “And lo and behold it comes together and you have this magical symphony called “Vicious” Victor Ortiz September the 17th at the MGM Grand.”

Sounds like a boxing manager, right? But where Arellano strays from his peers is that while he is an indefatigable promoter of the fighters he represents, he is more than the guy with the megaphone saying everything that the athlete wants to hear. For one, Arellano is as blunt as it gets when it comes to the sport, the fighters, and his fellow managers. Next, he is as loyal as they come, but when he feels that his fighter has reached the end of the line, he is willing to leave money on the table to make a stand and do what’s right. Third, and this is where he really veers from the script – he actually cares. [Click Here To Read More]

good read, always wondered about him

Comment

Good read. But honestly Ortiz should have waited a year (2-3 title defences later) then go after Floyd and Pac, he's being rushed but i'll be rooting for him.

I don't think Ortiz would have ever gone with Gbp with Garcias because the Garcias only do buisness with TR, who helps Garcias fighters.

Arrellano saw the young talent of Vargas way before he entered the gym. In fact Ortiz fights similar the way Vargas fights but Ortiz seems to have one punch power.

Comment

ortiz should have waited like vargas but when a seven figure pay day comes calling, how can you turn it down

Comment

Steward during rounds 1-4: This fight is going exaaaactly the way I thought it would. Steward in rounds 5-9 when momentum shifts: This is exaaaactly how I thought this fight would play out. I was just telling this guy before the fight… Whatever Steward. BTW for those who can’t afford, stream it at KOISports.com But make sure you choose the UK version for the fight.

Comment

Originally posted by bose View Post
            Good read. But honestly Ortiz should have waited a year (2-3 title defences later) then go after Floyd and Pac, he's being rushed but i'll be rooting for him.

I don't think Ortiz would have ever gone with Gbp with Garcias because the Garcias only do buisness with TR, who helps Garcias fighters.

Arrellano saw the young talent of Vargas way before he entered the gym. In fact Ortiz fights similar the way Vargas fights but Ortiz seems to have one punch power.
            Ortiz is already a 24 year old man. It's not like he's a 21 or 22 year old being forced to take this task.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandpaBernard View Post
              Ortiz is already a 24 year old man. It's not like he's a 21 or 22 year old being forced to take this task.
              And just a 1 year or less removed from the maidanna fight, and just months before the peterson fight. Ortiz gained momentum against Berto, in all honesty, if they wanted to build him right, they would have gone the way Top Rank did with Floyd and Pavlik, gave him some more time to develop. Let him know in his next fight that he is capable of another Berto performance time after time. I stay true to what i said. But, i can't blame Ortiz or his handlers for this chance to make millions, but the fight with Floyd or Pacquiao would still have been there for them in a 1 years time and Ortiz would have been even more dangerous with more experiance. As it is, he clearly has a shot.

Vargas was a talent years above his age.

Comment

Originally posted by BIGCHIPSKI View Post
                Steward during rounds 1-4: This fight is going exaaaactly the way I thought it would. Steward in rounds 5-9 when momentum shifts: This is exaaaactly how I thought this fight would play out. I was just telling this guy before the fight… Whatever Steward. BTW for those who can’t afford, stream it at KOISports.com But make sure you choose the UK version for the fight.
                Thanks for the stream

Comment

Rolando has done a fantastic job with Ortiz,he's a marketing genius

Comment

Working...
                  X