No announcement yet.

Sturm vs. Murray - Thoughts?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sturm vs. Murray - Thoughts?

Has this come at the right time for Martin Murray against an 'over the hill' Felix Sturm?

I've personally got it as a Sturm win on points. Not a shutout, but by a clear 5 or 6 rounds on the cards. If it is anything close to the action we saw in the Macklin fight then I'm happy!

I'd like Murray to win but I don't think he is better than Macklin so got to go with Sturm

Comment

Well what a fight that was! I had it dead level, I really couldn't separate them.

Comment

Originally posted by G_Child_123 View Post
        Well what a fight that was! I had it dead level, I really couldn't separate them.
        it was a decent scrap that. Great challenge by Murray, but I had Sturm take that by 3 rounds or so. He seemed to connect with a lot more punishing shots, although Murray really soaked them up - hard bastard

Murray is getting married in the Caribbean this week,might be a black eye on show in the photos haha

Comment

Good fight. I felt for Murray, he had a case for the win but then so did Sturm and he was Champion and at home so...

I actually scored it a draw so i think the result was fair and square

Comment

Originally posted by ding-ding View Post
            it was a decent scrap that. Great challenge by Murray, but I had Sturm take that by 3 rounds or so. He seemed to connect with a lot more punishing shots, although Murray really soaked them up - hard bastard

Murray is getting married in the Caribbean this week,might be a black eye on show in the photos haha
            Yeah I don't blame you having by 3 rounds to Sturm, some of the rounds were so tough to score, I'm sure somebody on here felt Murray had it by 3.

Want to see him and Macklin fight off to determine who gets a rematch, that would be way close to call for me. After all, seems Barker is going after JCC Jr.

Yeah those are gonna be some dodgy wedding snaps, bit of Caribbean sun will ease all that though!

Comment

I had Marty by a single round. And as soon as it ended, I knew this was a fight for Sturm. The rounds were so tough to score, Murray with volume and hard punches mixed in, while Sturm was sharp shooting and connecting VERY well. It was a great fight, and I wouldn't doubt if Sturm offers a rematch to Murray. He deserves it. But, I also wouldn't put it past Felix to lowball it so Marty has no choice but to turn it down - a la Matt Macklin.

Imagine how much better Sturm would be if he had above average power to go with those boxing skills and hand speed...

Comment

I didn't score it, but my general impression was that Sturm did the better work. I don't know the punch stats but Sturm's shot just seemed to land cleaner and he controlled most of the action, even though Murray certainly did well in spurts. But there were 2-3 rounds I missed so it's hard for me to say really.

Comment

Originally posted by JKidd2624 View Post
                  I had Marty by a single round. And as soon as it ended, I knew this was a fight for Sturm. The rounds were so tough to score, Murray with volume and hard punches mixed in, while Sturm was sharp shooting and connecting VERY well. It was a great fight, and I wouldn't doubt if Sturm offers a rematch to Murray. He deserves it. But, I also wouldn't put it past Felix to lowball it so Marty has no choice but to turn it down - a la Matt Macklin.

Imagine how much better Sturm would be if he had above average power to go with those boxing skills and hand speed...
                  Yeah agree with you there. If there is gonna be a rematch he is probably gonna have to accept the same purse for the fight. Can understand why fighters would be sceptical like that, knowing that its quite difficult to go there and get the decision.

I knew the French judge was gonna have it to Sturm! It wasn't as wide a a 4 point difference for me. Judges on the continent tend to be similar in that they look for the solid foundations that fighters hone in the ameteurs (solid jab, good defense). This is typical of fighters like Sturm and many others on the continent, so they always gonna plump for that.

US and Canadian judges for me had more realistic scorecards, and they seemingly take in all the other factors that make the pro fight game different from the ameteurs. Not that European judges ignore dictating tempo and periods of pressure, its just less likely to swing a round for them.

Comment

I thought it was a close fight that either could have won and a draw was a good result.

I was very shocked that Sturm didn't get the Decision, though.

I was expecting some crazy scorecards with Sturm winning.

Most of the rounds were close and I assumed that the judges will give each and everyone of those to Sturm.

So yeah, shocked that Sturm wasn't given the Decision in his country but I felt the draw was a fair result.

Comment

Working...
                    X