Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Junior Witter to enter next 147lb Prize Fighter...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junior Witter to enter next 147lb Prize Fighter...

http://news.boxrec.com/news/2011/exc...r-prizefighter

It'll be the WW version, surely?

Last I knew, he couldn't do 140 anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by BallisticAffair View Post
      It'll be the WW version, surely?

Last I knew, he couldn't do 140 anymore.
      Sorry, my bad..... 147lb.

Comment

Copy and paste job, but hey ho, just passing on the news... Lol.

The quality of boxers appearing in Matchroom's Prizefighter tournaments continues to improve. The latest addition to the franchise's ranks is Sheffield's former WBC light-welterweight world champion, Junior Witter.

Although Witter is undoubtedly in the twilight of his years as an athlete, it's less than two years ago since he was boxing, albeit unsuccessfuly, for the world title against Devon Alexander (pictured) and he was world champ himself less than three years ago.

I put the most predictable of questions to him last night - surely Prizefighter won't suit his style?

"That's what everyone keeps telling me!" replied the affable Ingle fighter. "Everyone keeps telling me it's not made for my style.

"But if you look at when I had 15 knockouts in a row (between 2000 and 2005) a lot of them were early and inside three rounds."

Witter certainly doesn't view engaging in Prizefighter as beneath him.

"As long as I'm in the ring, I'm happy."

Also included in the June 7th welterweight tournament, which will be made at 10st 9lbs, are former opponent Colin Lynes and Yassine El Maachi.

Comment

Copy and paste job, but hey ho, just passing on the news... Lol.

The quality of boxers appearing in Matchroom's Prizefighter tournaments continues to improve. The latest addition to the franchise's ranks is Sheffield's former WBC light-welterweight world champion, Junior Witter.

Although Witter is undoubtedly in the twilight of his years as an athlete, it's less than two years ago since he was boxing, albeit unsuccessfuly, for the world title against Devon Alexander (pictured) and he was world champ himself less than three years ago.

I put the most predictable of questions to him last night - surely Prizefighter won't suit his style?

"That's what everyone keeps telling me!" replied the affable Ingle fighter. "Everyone keeps telling me it's not made for my style.

"But if you look at when I had 15 knockouts in a row (between 2000 and 2005) a lot of them were early and inside three rounds."

Witter certainly doesn't view engaging in Prizefighter as beneath him.

"As long as I'm in the ring, I'm happy."

Also included in the June 7th welterweight tournament, which will be made at 10st 9lbs, are former opponent Colin Lynes and Yassine El Maachi.

Comment

Damn, he really lowering his standards. But it could be easy money for him I suppose,
            aswell as that it will be a good few wins on his record aswell.

If he cant win this he has to retire.

Comment

Matchroom are pulling names to these things.

Granted, Witter's hardly fought in 2 years. And I heard he looked really bad in his WW debut a couple months back, although I still haven't seen the fight yet.

Still an interesting name for the mix. And I'd doubt Junior's made that much money from boxing, so it's a chance to pick up 30k.

Comment

Matchroom are pulling names to these things.

Granted, Witter's hardly fought in 2 years. And I heard he looked really bad in his WW debut a couple months back, although I still haven't seen the fight yet.

Still an interesting name for the mix. And I'd doubt Junior's made that much money from boxing, so it's a chance to pick up 30k.
                I haven't seen it either, just looked it up..... HE LOST, I never knew that, Victor Puiu, I'll download that and check it out, man this guy really has fallen from grace...

http://boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?hum...9304&cat=boxer

Comment

I don't know too much about the Puiu guy, except to glance at his record and see he beat Billy Lyell (who beat Duddy on Duddy's worst night) in a 4-rounder years ago. LOL. It's a winning record but lean on quality.

Witter's old. Slowed down, too big for 140, too small for WW. It happens.

A win in Prizefighter only delays the inevitable.

Even before he lost in Canada, I'd kind of accepted he was done on any serious contender level.

Comment

I don't know too much about the Puiu guy, except to glance at his record and see he beat Billy Lyell (who beat Duddy on Duddy's worst night) in a 4-rounder years ago. LOL. It's a winning record but lean on quality.

Witter's old. Slowed down, too big for 140, too small for WW. It happens.

A win in Prizefighter only delays the inevitable.

Even before he lost in Canada, I'd kind of accepted he was done on any serious contender level
                    Oh yeah, without a doubt. For some reason though, he always seemed the type of fighter that could spring an upset, always intriguing to watch. Shame, as I always liked Witter, and never knew about that last loss.

Prizefighter seems to definitely be his last hurrah.

Comment

Working...
                    X