No announcement yet.

Im interested in IceMan John Scullys prediction of Jones/Calzaghe

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wiley Hyena View Post
    You don't have a damn clue either about the prime on prime fantasy match.

Roy was a fantastic specimen "in his prime" (which is taken to mean..before Tarver knocked him out with one punch). But, nobody has ever exposed Joe Calzaghe. NOBODY.

Since you asked for one, I'll give you one clue: Confusion. I've never seen a Calzaghe opponent that wasn't confused by Calzaghe's style. Not one. Confused fighters tend to lock up and become uncertain, just like Roy did last night. I sincerely doubt that youth alone would have alleviated this condition.

Fantastic post! That's what Joe does, upsets and confuses everyone he has ever fought, They rely on the fact he has broken hands - yet he still manages to have the very best (Hopkins) confused and unable to land.

Comment

• Originally posted by MASGAGOMEXI View Post
      Look at Juan Manuel Marquez, he's old at 35, but he's still whippin' ass because of his boxing acumen. Juan is a good example of a well-schooled, crafty veteran fighters, same thing with James Toney. Jones is all talent and when talent went away, he had no heart to rely on.
      ** Clearly you must be muddled as JMM has been very weary looking fighter since Pac blasted him back to Peanutville backwaters of Indonesia. Last outing he was barely holding his own against an creaky 40ish fighter a half decade older than JMM. He got set up and walked into a classic right by a past it Barrera that could've spelled the end for him but for Nady's botched job.

Last time Toney put on a credible performance against a prime top fighter was Jirov. Guy's punchdrunk because his supposed great defense has seen him taking flush punches the entirety of his way too long career.

JMM has a counterpunching style and chin that sees him surviving aging fights in better shape than Roy, so what? The overall gulf in class between the two is enormous. JMM's highlight video will be as an artist painting the canvas with his bum against Manny. Roy will have an encyclopedia of highlights and room full of belts and accolades.

It takes heart to do the training and get hit at the level these guys do it. That some have better chins and more grit than others is part of the natural attributes equation. Roy could've done with more humility which would've served him better when the talent got old and seen him retired by now.

Yet Roy was in great shape for Joe and put himself where he was one punch away from a big upset early on which was always gonna be his only chance. He took a bloody beating for his efforts and still had enough to go for it that last round. Lot more pop and more heart under more adverse circumstances than Poppy showed against Joe. Now that Kellerman and the rest of the Roy bandwagon boys have all fallen off, I have much more appreciation of his talents and career.

Joe also a very underrated sublime talent looking a bit vulnerable himself lately. At the end of the day, these guys are human afterall and everyone has bad spots at the office.

I'd like to know if Ice is gonna use any influence to convince Roy to retire? I thought he'd done fairly well with his finances and I don't see any big fights out there for him.

If it was only about money, he could've fought Lewis or Tyson for huge money and retired compared to coming back down to Tarver and the rest of the chaff.

That's the part of his career I don't understand, the post Ruiz part of his career. Why?

Comment

• Originally posted by Silencers View Post
        The 2 fights that Jones used his jab the most was against McCallum and Ruiz, I expected it more against Calzaghe honestly, and the jab did set up the knockdown punch.
        I figured the jab wouldnt come out much....jabbing against a southpaw, especially one with a style like Joe, is VERY hard and awkward

Comment

• Originally posted by LondonRingRules View Post

I'd like to know if Ice is gonna use any influence to convince Roy to retire? I thought he'd done fairly well with his finances and I don't see any big fights out there for him.

If it was only about money, he could've fought Lewis or Tyson for huge money and retired compared to coming back down to Tarver and the rest of the chaff.

That's the part of his career I don't understand, the post Ruiz part of his career. Why?
          I consider myself a friend of Roy Jones...but dont think I have influence to make him do anything as big as retire...that woul dbe a stretch for me...the post Ruiz part of his career, though? I think its because he's a boxer, he has been doing this his whole life....the pattern is practically set for all of the big name boxers, they dont let it all go when they are supposed to because its in their blood..."its like a drug"...

Comment

• Originally posted by ICEMAN JOHN SCULLY View Post
            I figured the jab wouldnt come out much....jabbing against a southpaw, especially one with a style like Joe, is VERY hard and awkward
            I understand that but I still expected it to work as kind of a range finder or as a punch to just keep Calzaghe away so that he could get some rest from Calzaghe's onslaught of punches because Calzaghe does square himself up a bit, Kessler was able to do it somewhat effectively until Calzaghe figured him out.

Comment

• Silencer...you going to Pastrana's fight this week???

Comment

• Can't make it, sorry. Good luck in that one, pretty big step up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Silencers View Post
                  Can't make it, sorry. Good luck in that one, pretty big step up.

Yeah , man.... uh...so what's YOUR prediction ??

Comment

Working...
                  X