Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Parkinson's Disease To Blame for Roach's Apparent Decline As A Trainer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Parkinson's Disease To Blame for Roach's Apparent Decline As A Trainer?

In about 1 year?

It was 2010 that Roach won the trainer of the year award by BWAA. In 2011 HBO filmed a mini-series about him, covering his daily activities and routines as both a trainer and, indirectly, as a person with Parkinson's Disease. Since that time most of his fighters have lost, including all his stars. Both Khan and Chavez Jr left him after their defeats. Pacquiao as far as we know is still with Roach after losing to Marquez last month.

So why is it that Roach's effectiveness as trainer seemingly declined so badly, does his illness contribute to this decline, is it because he got sidetracked by his fame, or should Roach take no blame - only the fighters themselves who have lost under his guidance?

Next up I'll post some info I've read about Parkinson's disease which might shine some light on things, and it could explain how the illness might be to blame. Read on...

Early in the course of the disease, the most obvious symptoms are movement-related; these include shaking, rigidity, slowness of movement and difficulty with walking and gait. Later, cognitive and behavioural problems may arise, with dementia commonly occurring in the advanced stages of the disease.

Modern treatments are effective at managing the early motor symptoms of the disease. As the disease progresses these drugs eventually become ineffective at treating the symptoms and at the same time produce a complication called dyskinesia, marked by involuntary writhing movements.

Finally, after ten years most people with the disease have autonomic disturbances, sleep problems, mood alterations and cognitive decline. All of these symptoms, especially cognitive decline, greatly increase disability

Muhammad Ali has been called the "world's most famous Parkinson's patient". He was 42 at diagnosis although he showed signs of Parkinson's when he was 38.Whether he has PD or a parkinsonian syndrome caused by boxing is unresolved

Comment

A little bit of Parkinson's but roach wasn't that great to begin with, he was just a product of his fighters who had carefully selected opponent to look good against up till recent times.

Comment

Had to do more with the competition. Roach just ran out of cherry picks to make his fighters look good.

Comment

No it mostly is due to his fighter's match up than parkinsons.

Comment

Originally posted by kiDynamite92 View Post
            A little bit of Parkinson's but roach wasn't that great to begin with, he was just a product of his fighters who had carefully selected opponent to look good against up till recent times.
            Sort of like Mike Tyson one of his former fighters the ultimate hype job who fought tomato cans to build himself up, but crumbled when he fought guys who fought back or were top level.

Comment

Originally posted by littlemac View Post
              Had to do more with the competition. Roach just ran out of cherry picks to make his fighters look good.
              this^^^
              the guy is a great match maker but a s*** trainer. he's no better than cunningham, garcia, naz, nacho....etc.

Comment

I just think his whole approach is rather simple, which isn't really a bad thing but unless a guy naturally has some other dimensions it can lead to his guys being easy to figure out.

I don't blame Roach really for Khan and JCC Jr. you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink and neither of those cats took Roach's words to heart.

Comment

to me its his assertiveness towards his fighter he just kinda has let both pacquiao and chavez run the training camp lately because they are bringing in the money to me the coach really needs to dictate how the training camp will be held and to me he just kinda sat to the side and let the fighter call the shots. Yea the fighters the one paying you but at the end of the day you are being paid to be in charge and be COACH so you need to call the shots even if its not what they want to hear. Wether this is due to the stage of his parkinsons and hes just not able to stay in charge because of that im not sure but this is the downfall of roach lack of respect in the fighter- coach relationship

Comment

Roach was never a good trainer Pacquiao put him on the map with out Pac he'd be shinning shoes or cleaning spit buckets at the Wild card Gym

Comment

Working...
                    X