No announcement yet.

Sad day when I can't....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad day when I can't....

Spar anymore. I'm getting up there in age, late 30's and the young guys at the gym are starting to catch up to me. I do spar amateur boxers, pro MMA fighters and have sparred pro boxers as well but it's getting tougher and tougher.

I wonder when I will be too old to spar anymore? I'm in good shape, have over 50 amateur fights and lot's of experience but I some times think and wonder when it will all end.

Boxing isn't like basketball or baseball where you can keep playing for a long time as long as you take care of yourself. Boxing is a young man's game for sure.

It's true that boxing is a young man's game - enjoy it while it lasts.

I think it will be a sadder day when I can't get my old feller up.. luckily they have pills for that now.

Comment

Hahaha, my wife always tells me I shouldn't spar anymore but I at least compromised and just bought the full face headgear so I don't go to work with busted lips and black eyes...

Comment

fuk that
        si se puedeeeee

Comment

remember old Foreman when he took back the title at 45 and then remember Ali who didn't mind aging and got himself Parkinson's. Gotta know when it's time to slow down

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
            Spar anymore. I'm getting up there in age, late 30's and the young guys at the gym are starting to catch up to me. I do spar amateur boxers, pro MMA fighters and have sparred pro boxers as well but it's getting tougher and tougher.

I wonder when I will be too old to spar anymore? I'm in good shape, have over 50 amateur fights and lot's of experience but I some times think and wonder when it will all end.

Boxing isn't like basketball or baseball where you can keep playing for a long time as long as you take care of yourself. Boxing is a young man's game for sure.
            It's time to stop sparring when you stop enjoying it mate.

We have a guy in our gym who still spars at 47-49 ish. He is slow and his reflexes aren't the best but 30 odd years of experience mean he can still hold is own with most lads.

I know this may seam strange but, I think I will enjoy sparring more as I age. I love trying to out think my opponents - thats what I love about boxing. As I age and slow down, out thinking my opponents will be the only way I can be competetive. I regularly spar with a lad who is about the same hight as me but about 20kg less (I go lighter, obviously), he's much faster than me but I can get round this (sometimes ...) by trying to out think him - I love it !!!

Another reason to continue as long as you can is simply to provide an experienced sparring partner for your lads - They will learn from you.

Comment

But yeah ... sooner or later we won't be able to box / spar anymore and yeah ... it will be a very sad day.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAuthority View Post
                It's time to stop sparring when you stop enjoying it mate.

We have a guy in our gym who still spars at 47-49 ish. He is slow and his reflexes aren't the best but 30 odd years of experience mean he can still hold is own with most lads.

I know this may seam strange but, I think I will enjoy sparring more as I age. I love trying to out think my opponents - thats what I love about boxing. As I age and slow down, out thinking my opponents will be the only way I can be competetive. I regularly spar with a lad who is about the same hight as me but about 20kg less (I go lighter, obviously), he's much faster than me but I can get round this (sometimes ...) by trying to out think him - I love it !!!

Another reason to continue as long as you can is simply to provide an experienced sparring partner for your lads - They will learn from you.

Yes definitely and I love it....

Not trying to sound like I'm a great boxer but I do have 50+ amateur fights and still do very well in the gym. The problem I guess I'm having is that the 18 and 20 yr olds are starting to get at me more and more.

I could probably do better than most guys my age, I guess I'm just going through a little but of a mid life crisis because I'm starting to get hit more and more by the young guys. The guys are all either amateur boxers or pro MMA guys so I guess it could be worse.

I hear what you are saying though, I think the key is staying in great shape. I'm thinking about quitting meat and alcohol all together, will be a tough thing, especially the meat.

I also love sparring with my students, they seem to have much more respect for me than other trainers who are out of shape or don't spar with them.

Comment

Originally posted by RurouniYume View Post
                  remember old Foreman when he took back the title at 45 and then remember Ali who didn't mind aging and got himself Parkinson's. Gotta know when it's time to slow down
                  What's the deal with the flat back picture? just askin..........

Comment

You can still spar, just spar more with the novices and beginners rather than pros or experienced amateurs.

Novices and beginners can learn a lot from being in the ring with someone with as much experience as yourself, true you wont be able to go all out or get into any gym wars but at the end of the day you have to think of your health.

Comment

Working...
                    X