No announcement yet.

todays champions vs champs of 1972

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• todays champions vs champs of 1972

How do you think todays champions would fare against the champs of 40 years ago?

Heavyweight: Wlad Klitschko v Joe Frazier
    Light-Heavyweight: Chad Dawson v Bob Foster
    Middleweight: Sergio Martinez v Carlos Monzon
    Welterweight: Floyd Mayweather v Jose Napoles
    Junior-Welterweight: Danny Garcia v Antonio Cervantes
    Lightweight: Antonio DeMarco v Roberto Duran
    Featherweight: Yuriorkis Gamboa v Clemente Sanchez
    Bantamweight: Anselmo Moreno v Ruben Olivares
    Flyweight: Toshiyuki Igarashi v Erbito Salavarria

Personally I think Mayweather and Gamboa wins. And maybe Wlad and Igarashi. But all then rest are clear wins for the class of 72.

Wladimir vs. Frazier would be competitive IMO. Both possess one punch KO power while Wladimir has the height and the jab. Frazier had the bigger heart though. That'd be cool to see.

Don't think Joe knew how to step backwards.

Carlos Monzon owns today's Middleweight's. Don't care what anybody says.

Robert Duran is Robert Duran lol. Not many men like Duran.

I like Bob Foster. Powerful. Be interesting to see him vs. Dawson.

Comment

Originally posted by Welsh Jon View Post
      How do you think todays champions would fare against the champs of 40 years ago?

Personally I think Mayweather and Gamboa wins. And maybe Wlad and Igarashi. But all then rest are clear wins for the class of 72.
      vlad doesnt win no way. but otherwise i agree.

Comment

I don't really like Wlad and hate the way he fights but it is very effective. I think his size, reach, and cautious style make it very difficult for Frazier.

Wlad by wide UD

Comment

You have to have some heart too to beat Joe. He's not going to lose to a guy safely trying to keep him at bay. if Smokin Joe doesn't feel Wlad has the extra heart to try and turn his lights out, Wlad just may get his turned out.

Still.. 60/40 in favor of Wlad in this matchup on its face.

Comment

I think boxing has moved on more than people realise, I think overall the pool of boxers is not as competitive, whereas 30-40 years ago you had lots of top fighters in most weight classes, now you may have one or two. This does not mean that the top fighters of today are not as good as yesteryear.

In fact in a lot of cases I think they are better, athletically some of the boxers of today are absolute phenoms, sports science, nutrition, has moved on dramatically, and boxers now are stronger and faster and to be honest that applies to people in general.

I don't see someone like Monzon beating a Hopkins at middleweight, no way no how. But that does not mean historically Monzon was not the better fighter of his time, and considering his achievments, all time.

Technically maybe the game has been neglected on that front, fighters nowadays are maybe a bit too concentrated on being explosive, but saying that you do have Mayweather, Hopkins, who are some of the most technically excellent fighters ever.

Comment

Wlad is just too strong and big for Joe.
              Joe would have a chance against Sander's version of Wlad, but for today's Wlad very slim chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Welsh Jon View Post

I like Joe Frazier more than any other heavyweight in history but Wladimir takes this one im afraid. I highlighted the winners

Comment

Originally posted by sunny31 View Post
                  I think boxing has moved on more than people realise, I think overall the pool of boxers is not as competitive, whereas 30-40 years ago you had lots of top fighters in most weight classes, now you may have one or two. This does not mean that the top fighters of today are not as good as yesteryear.

In fact in a lot of cases I think they are better, athletically some of the boxers of today are absolute phenoms, sports science, nutrition, has moved on dramatically, and boxers now are stronger and faster and to be honest that applies to people in general.

I don't see someone like Monzon beating a Hopkins at middleweight, no way no how. But that does not mean historically Monzon was not the better fighter of his time, and considering his achievments, all time.

Technically maybe the game has been neglected on that front, fighters nowadays are maybe a bit too concentrated on being explosive, but saying that you do have Mayweather, Hopkins, who are some of the most technically excellent fighters ever.
                  I don't see how you can say Carlos Monzon would have no chance what so ever of beating Bernard Hopkins. They seem to stack up brilliantly in a head to head. Would be really competitive in my eyes. I don't think boxing has progressed so much that a specimen like Monzon would have no chance against the best fighters of today.

Comment

Working...
                  X