Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do some boxers hit really really hard? What makes a puncher?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do some boxers hit really really hard? What makes a puncher?

Ok Im pretty sure no one has the answer to this yet, but id be interrested in your theories on what makes some individuals extremely hard punchers.

So it must be genetic to a certain degree, but what specifically are they born with that others are not?

How important is technique? Is there a big divide in the level of power some boxers generate due to technique or are all pro boxers at a simlar level of technique when it comes to the body/power mechanics of a boxing punch?

It seems punchers come in all shapes and sizes, e.g. jerry coony, earnie shavers, rocky marciano, julian jackson, george foreman, mike tyson, etc etc

It must come down to many factors, but which do you think are the most important ones?

They know how to use leverage to maximize their punches. I think its something you're "born" with, i've never really heard of a guy punching mucher harder after training

Comment

What exactly do you mean by "leverage" bro?

Comment

I think the mental aspect of it plays a part too. I think some guys don't go for broke with a lot of their punches because they wanna get back into a defensive position after landing, and others will look to really load up and give it all they have. Somewhere along the line the guy who gets back on defense probably got clipped and learned from it, while the other guy has had success and was putting people on their backs.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
          What exactly do you mean by "leverage" bro?
          You're born with it. Just like some people are born to run fast, some people are born to punch hard.

In layman's terms, leverage in punching just means the amount of comfortable space you're able to create within yourself to generate power in a punch. Try punching from one inch away from something. You basically have zero leverage, which is why the punch is very weak. That's why all these "one-inch punch" legends are so intriguing.

So a puncher can create internal space for generating power in a punch. Think of the punch as a little guy getting a running start at jumping a really long distance, but all this happens within the body of the guy throwing the punch. That's leverage, and that's punching power. Can't teach it.

Comment

It's mostly mental partly physical.

It's not about hitting a target, but going through the target. Some guys naturally understand that concept while others don't. Some put themselves in a position to hit the target, others put themselves in a position to punch through the target. Speed, leverage, precision, and committing to the punch all play equal part. Too many guys I know are just satisfied with hitting something accurately instead of blowing through it. They're afraid of over committing.

My sifu always told me that guys with strong back muscles have real KO power if they knew how to use it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
              They know how to use leverage to maximize their punches. I think its something you're "born" with, i've never really heard of a guy punching mucher harder after training
              Apparently Tommy Hearns wasn't a hard hitter. Anyway I think it is mainly down to technique/preference if you look at fighters who don't hit hard they're not exactly committing themselves to their punches.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePunchingBag View Post
                It's mostly mental partly physical.

It's not about hitting a target, but going through the target. Some guys naturally understand that concept while others don't. Some put themselves in a position to hit the target, others put themselves in a position to punch through the target. Speed, leverage, precision, and committing to the punch all play equal part. Too many guys I know are just satisfied with hitting something accurately instead of blowing through it. They're afraid of over committing.

My sifu always told me that guys with strong back muscles have real KO power if they knew how to use it properly.
                Some fighters can't throw certain punches without over committing themselves, try throwing a punch like Mike Tyson for instance, the average Joe would throw himself off balance.

Comment

Originally posted by SonnyDempsey View Post
                  You're born with it. Just like some people are born to run fast, some people are born to punch hard.

In layman's terms, leverage in punching just means the amount of comfortable space you're able to create within yourself to generate power in a punch. Try punching from one inch away from something. You basically have zero leverage, which is why the punch is very weak. That's why all these "one-inch punch" legends are so intriguing.

So a puncher can create internal space for generating power in a punch. Think of the punch as a little guy getting a running start at jumping a really long distance, but all this happens within the body of the guy throwing the punch. That's leverage, and that's punching power. Can't teach it.

Brilliant description I totally understand what you mean, this forum impresses me, some really smart people here. Thanks mate!

Comment

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
                    What!!! Teaching someone how to punch correctly ALWAYS improves power significantly.

Comment

Working...
                    X