No announcement yet.

Sergio Martinez vs Gennady Golovkin won't happen because Lou Dibella is scared

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BafanaBafana View Post
    Let's see... Martinez (currently injured) has two fights this year one being a dream return fight at home (first in 10yrs) in front of 55,000 countryman and the other in late 2013.
    Martinez will likely do the following:
    1) April 27, 2013: Martinez v. Murray (Argentina return)
    2) Sept. 14, 2013: Martinez Chavez Jr. II (HBO PPV)

I take it you are complaining at his choice for the first fight since the Chavez II is a big money fight. That being said you must have forgotten that the WBC no longer accepts unification fights. Thus, if Martinez were to fight a titleholder for his April 27 fight he would likely give the WBC an excuse to strip him... AGAIN. Unlike you, Martinez isn't an idiot. He will keep his WBC title and defend it against Chavez on Sept. 14. The Martinez/Chavez/WBC drama will continue as hype for the next fight. Maybe we don't care about title belts but the mass of casual fans who watch and pay for these fights do.
    I don't see why!?!
    He should take Gennady Golovkin to Argentina in my opinion... If he wants any chance of beating Golovkin he will need that home-town advantage!
    Plus Murray isn't going to attract alot of attention he looked far from convincing in his last fight against a nobody...
    Have to wonder what about Geale?
    Shouldn't Geale be fighting either Martinez or Golovkin or Murray?
    Easiest way in my opinion is Martinez vs Geale winner of this fights winner of Golovkin vs Murray but that will never happen I know.

Comment

Heard an interview with Macklin where he said GGG's team approached him for a date in January, but because he's having a nose operation he said he wouldn't be ready for it. Can't imagine Macklin wants any of that either but it would be a good fight for Golovkin, as many of JCC and Sergio's recent opponents would be.

Comment

Originally posted by El Angel View Post
        KO Proska and Ouma, you deserve a shot at the #1 MW and one of the top P4P fighters in the world. Sergio took on PW on short notice, gave him hell, KO'd him in the rematch, then beat Pavlik for the title. When Golovkin does something similar let me know.
        Then why is Martinez ducking him?
        Pavlik is overrated anyway... Come on you know he's not going to do anything against Andre Ward he's a linear fighter who's only real asset is that straight right hand, Golovkin has alot more than that top fighter with a great amateur back ground beaten some of the big names in the amateurs and has looked impressive in his professional career just nobody wants to give him a shot its pathetic.

Comment

Being GGG supporter I do understand Martinez ducking him. He understands that this is not Chaves - same chin if not better with much better technique and timing. Worst thing - he doesn't need a clean shot to hurt his opponent.
          Sergio has a couple of fights left in him - I'd like him to make some dicent money before retire. Best (from my view) will be if Sergio gets a couple of big money fights and than a last horay with Golovkin. Would be good if Geale and Quillin stop hiding and fight Gennady before than (both will loose) - than it will be mega fight from money point as well.

Comment

GGG has had no significant wins. He needs to step and fight someone.

Comment

Originally posted by Keitha313 View Post
              I don't see why!?!
              He should take Gennady Golovkin to Argentina in my opinion... If he wants any chance of beating Golovkin he will need that home-town advantage!
              Plus Murray isn't going to attract alot of attention he looked far from convincing in his last fight against a nobody...
              Have to wonder what about Geale?
              Shouldn't Geale be fighting either Martinez or Golovkin or Murray?
              Easiest way in my opinion is Martinez vs Geale winner of this fights winner of Golovkin vs Murray but that will never happen I know.
              Attention from whom? It's a fight in Argentina, not in the message boards of Boxingscene...

Nobody knows GGG in Argentina. Nobody has seen him fight there or even heard his name. The country doesn't really have "boxing fans", they are all "football fans" and only they can fill a stadium like the one Sergio wants to fill. And football fans hate brazilians for obvious reasons and dislike english for that robbery in the world cup of 1966.

Sergio wasn't even famous in Argentina when he won the award of fighter of the year in 2010. He only got famous when he entered a TV Shows that is very similar to "dancing with the stars" in the US. That's the people who are going to see him in that stadium, and those are football fans. It's way better for them to see Sergio fight an undeafeated english fighter than an unknown russian guy who is apparentely really important in message boards...

So the only fight you can ask him to replace is the one against Chavez jr on HBO. Good luck with that, because their last fight there was one of the biggest ppv of the year. And Sergio is not used to that kind of money.

It looks like GGG is the new Pirog. He hasn't fought anyone to deserve a match against the champion but he is calling out Sergio, so because of that Sergio should put all his money plans on hold and fight the guy to shut him up. Right...

Comment

Beat some guys first and earn a fight with the man.

There are a number of good fighters out there to prove youself, Proska and co dont cut it.

Martinez is a cut above anyone else at 160, GGG will just be another name on his resume, if he gets that far.
                Last edited by gmc_rfc_06; 11-26-2012, 08:38 AM.

Comment

dibella is a business man, he invests where there is less risk but the most revenue possible. but if golovkin somehow keeps on winning and builds a fan base, the fight could happen, it's just business

Comment

Originally posted by MVOLT View Post
                    it's true

serigo martinez apologists will say ''oh well he wants to cash out so it's okay to duck GGG''

disgusting.........
                    LMAO...Sergio would slap that dude silly, he ain't scared of any man. 3G needs to fight Guerrero, the guy called him out in person, if he turns him down, then he would be ducking him wouldn't he? That would throw a monkey wrench into all this ducking talk wouldn't it? Hope that doesn't happen, we wouldn't want 3G to fade away like Pirog did.

Comment

People are always talking about Martinez "ducking" people, the guy just had a knee operation like a week ago. It always seems to be Sergio "ducking" people yet he almost always beats up undefeated dudes and the guys he is apparently "ducking" have a few wins over unknown guys with losses and no wins over anyone significant at all.

It's always Sergio "ducking" these no names for a "payday" that I guess he doesn't deserve according to the internet boxing analyst community yet these no names that he is apparently "ducking" want to fight him for a "payday"......odd situation here.

Comment

Working...
                      X