Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone sparred a pro boxer as an amateur?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sammiza567 View Post
    think if he learned to use his jab better he would be a world champ.
    whats ur name, are u a pro?

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
      Could you go into detail about the Winky Wright sparring match, curious to hear about that one.
      nate campbell was going over to 4th street boxing in st. pete and at the time I had known nate a few months. he invited me along with a few of the people on his team. i was probably 17-18 at the time im 23 now. 3 or 4 of our guys sparred some of theirs and i did 3 rounds with a kid i had fought and beat in amateurs. got a break for a little while and winky was ready to go while nate was still warming up. I volunteered as i couldnt pass up the chance he was my favorite fighter. did 4 rounds with him before him and nate did like 6-7 rounds. obviously he was picking his shots with me as i was fighting at 141 at the time he is 154 champ. he didnt throw with too much power even against nate, would just stay on the inside and constantly be working, something campbell was great at too. he landed the jab at will. normally i can read a guys body language by staring into his chest, to see his body tense up before he throws the shot. winky just flicked it out there so easy. made me realize you really could win a fight with just a jab. he really liked his left uppercut but i never saw him throw it that much in actual fights. winky is an unbelievable technician if you ever saw him sparring in the gym.

Comment

Originally posted by GAME2010 View Post
        whats ur name, are u a pro?
        no pro fights about 30 am. was around alot of the top guys in the florida scene (winky,tarver,lacy,campbell). stopped competing seriously about a year ago lost the love and drive that woke me up at 5 am to run and all that jazz. i still train religously but with more focus and s/c the past year. stop in to spar every month or so to stay sharp. i know i will get the drive back eventually. would like a few pro fights since i put so much of my life into the sport, but not the same world champ vision i had. was a good counterpuncher and slick for a white kid. pride myself on never going down in sparring or a fight, honestly never been seriously rocked, so mabye i will fight pro until i find someone who can knock me out. im sure there are quite a few out there who can but i wanna know what it feels like tbh.
        Last edited by sammiza567; 11-17-2012, 01:34 AM.

Comment

I've sparred a few, the one in higher weight classes dont go hard though, I sparred a girl whos 8-0 as a pro now, she had no power though and I could only jab..surprisingly shes got 6 stoppages

Some pros arent that good TBH. some are great. In general they tend to hit harder, I've been in w/ better ams though than pros.

Comment

I sparred Khan. KO'd him by mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by Vilicious86 View Post
              I sparred Khan. KO'd him by mistake.
              I heard that only happenend because Freddie was in the toilet at the time!

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeVen0m View Post
                Pretty straight forward. Has anyone ever sparred a pro boxer as an amateur?

I have and I'm ashamed to say I was hurt by a straight right hand. Landed right on my mouth, I saw stars and my eyes watered immediately. I had to take a break after that hit. Dude hit extremely hard but he had been boxing for about 4 years before I even sparred him.
                yes!but with trainer and coach present @ sparring session!andrefabre@hotmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                  you act like it won't leave you ringing if you are hit by these 18oz gloves, especially when the punches are thrown by one thyat knows how to throw them. point blank, 18 oz gloves will still ring your bell. Agree or disagree? ............Rockin'
                  I'll back Rockin' up on this one - to a certain degree. In most cases good 16 oz gloves with decent padding can give you the old half second buzz but usually nothing more, however i've sparred some heavyweights (pretty average heavyweights) who were throwing bombs and felt fairly sore - i weigh 135lb though. Mind you it was nothing like getting hit with fighting gloves - a good hit with 10/12oz gloves from a guy your own size can beat the pants off a 16oz shot from a heavier guy.

Comment

Originally posted by sammiza567 View Post
                    nate campbell was going over to 4th street boxing in st. pete and at the time I had known nate a few months. he invited me along with a few of the people on his team. i was probably 17-18 at the time im 23 now. 3 or 4 of our guys sparred some of theirs and i did 3 rounds with a kid i had fought and beat in amateurs. got a break for a little while and winky was ready to go while nate was still warming up. I volunteered as i couldnt pass up the chance he was my favorite fighter. did 4 rounds with him before him and nate did like 6-7 rounds. obviously he was picking his shots with me as i was fighting at 141 at the time he is 154 champ. he didnt throw with too much power even against nate, would just stay on the inside and constantly be working, something campbell was great at too. he landed the jab at will. normally i can read a guys body language by staring into his chest, to see his body tense up before he throws the shot. winky just flicked it out there so easy. made me realize you really could win a fight with just a jab. he really liked his left uppercut but i never saw him throw it that much in actual fights. winky is an unbelievable technician if you ever saw him sparring in the gym.
                    Pretty awesome bro, thanks for sharing

Comment

I spar with my coach quite often. He's the former WBO & IBO cruiserweight titleist. He's got 20 years on me and although I'm in decent shape and pretty quick he kicks my arse. It's difficult really, as I probably show him too much respect (which he's earned). Anyhow, he's in great condition and is still able to box my head off!

Comment

Working...
                      X