Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm thinking of getting some 20oz gloves for sparring. What do you guys recommend?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boxingsmash69 View Post
    vers,

u might wanna check out the Winning NG-2 gel knuckle guards, for use under wraps.

they provide an unbelievable amount of hand protection for the knuckles.

and they are noticeably heavy.

they are heavier than an entire 10 yards of gauze folded up for knuckle padding, but they are only .45 inches thick (less than half as thick as 10 yards of gauze folded)

i highly recommend them for extra protection, and also extra weight, as you wanted.

they are probably 2 ounces per guard

they are known to be used by juan manuel marquez, israel vazquez, fernando vargas, etc. in training. Mr. Kazumichi (Winning's USA distributor) told me that himself.
    I appreciate it. That might be more handy because the talk about the super defense with the pillow gloves is not cool for me.

Comment

Originally posted by VERSATILE2K9 View Post
      I appreciate it. That might be more handy because the talk about the super defense with the pillow gloves is not cool for me.
      yeah, definitely. the super pillow defense with bigger gloves is probably not a good idea to get used to, especially for your peek-a-boo style. come fight night, your pillow sized gloves will not be there to protect you as well.

also, i edited my previous post, to add a picture of the guard, sitting next to folded gauze.
      Last edited by boxingsmash69; 04-10-2009, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by VERSATILE2K9 View Post
        No.haha. I just hit harder then what I weigh. I tend to still hurt ppl with 18oz gloves so I would like bigger ones.
        I understand you got power, reason I ask is for smaller fighters is hard finding openings with those pillows on.

Comment

man i wouldnt wear gloves that big, you will get an unrealistic idea of defence, you wont even have to try to block shots, when you fight again in 10 oz gloves (literally half the size) it will be waaaay different

if people complain you hit too hard in 16's, find some sparring partners who arent bitches or are much heavier than you so they wont complain

Comment

Originally posted by Equilibrium View Post
            I think 20oz are too much, not because of the weight but because of the size i think they could affect your technique. I had to buy some 18 oz because some of the guys i spar with were complaning when i used my 16 oz to spar, and the 18 oz feel awkward and too big already, it feels like im punching people with pillows at the end of my fists. It would probably be worst with 20 oz.

It's good that you care about your sparring partners but you shouldn't handicap yourself for the sake of not hurting them, it's still boxing, if somebody can't deal with taking a hard punch, they shouldnt be boxing in the first place.
            wtf??? thats really weird, i'd feel so wrong complaining to someone about them hitting me too hard, it'd make me feel like such a *****

Comment

Originally posted by LordVoldemort View Post
              wtf??? thats really weird, i'd feel so wrong complaining to someone about them hitting me too hard, it'd make me feel like such a *****

Well, 2 of the guys i spar with kinda became friends, it's not like they made a big thing out of it. Still when i spar with them i don't try to take their head off on purpose but it can happen that i hurt or drop them.

When i spar guys from other gyms i don't care at all, but i got some good sparring partners that helped me a lot since i went back to boxing and i'd like to keep them sparring with me.

Comment

Working...
              X