Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

De La Hoya vs. Hopkins 2 Not a Done Deal!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• De La Hoya vs. Hopkins 2 Not a Done Deal!

The last time I had Oscar De La Hoya on the site, he said that he could not believe how easy it was to outbox Bernard Hopkins. Oscar thought the fight would be much harder then it actually was. The first thought in my mind was that if the fight was so easy, why doesnt Oscar ask for a rematch, now I'm eating some crow. Oscar De La Hoya not only asked Hopkins for a rematch, an agreement was drafted and from what Golden Boy Promotions stated to the press, was also agreed to in principle.

There was an actual press conference scheduled for tomorrow by Golden Boy Promotions in order to announce the mega rematch between Oscar De La Hoya and Bernard Hopkins, now the conference may be put off and the fight not as close to being a done deal as De La Hoya once thought.

Steve Springer of the LA Times reported that late Sunday, Richard Schaefer, head of Golden Boy Promotions received a letter from Arnold Joseph, attorney for Bernard Hopkins, which stated that Bernard has not agreed to anything.

"Bernard and I have just discussed the e-mail which I understand you sent to the press on Friday. Bernard is disturbed that a communication involving him was released without his express consent or knowledge. While it is true that we have received and are considering Golden Boy's proposal, as you know, Bernard has not agreed to anything." said Joseph

BoxingScene will stay on top of this story and will give our audience full details if an agreement is reached today. [details]

" Oscar De La Hoya, couldn't believe how easy it was to outbox Bernard Hopkins" What the f**k, I guess that body shot by Bernard did more damage than we thought. What fight was Oscar reviewing?

Comment

Originally posted by rsl
      " Oscar De La Hoya, couldn't believe how easy it was to outbox Bernard Hopkins" What the f**k, I guess that body shot by Bernard did more damage than we thought. What fight was Oscar reviewing?

Up until that shot it was going easy for both ways and not one fighter was really struggling (Bernard even made it damn clear he didnt know if he was winning)

Knockouts happen, A fighter could be going into the 12th round and dominating the guy on all scorecards not giving him one within those last eleven and the other guy could land one clean punch and be over.....

Thats the beauty of boxing and thats the way it is.

Oscar was doing FINE up until that point and neither fighter was really dominating the other.

Comment

Originally posted by rsl
        he was outboxing him up until the last 2 or 3 rounds
        i still think he has a slim chance of hopkins shows up all calm and seemingly unmotivated to get the win lie he did in the first fight
        im still routen for oscar
        but just like the first i dont really think he can do it
        GO OSCAR!!!!

Comment

This was dominated by Hopkins, plain and simple. If you think he didn't look overwhelming in the first few rounds, well, that's just the way the man fights. People remember Trinidad but that was different, because he was not the favourite and knew that he was going to have to work hard for every round. Most of the time the man dances, keeps himself out of trouble, and slowly shifts the momentum in his favour.

By the later rounds he was hitting Oscar at will...he simply chose not to launch an all-out offensive. In the end, it just took one power shot. You can bet if Oscar got up from that one then the beating would have continued, and it would have been much worse.

Oscar is making himself look like a fool.

Comment

I dont wanna see a Hopkins vs DLH 2,as big of a fan I am of DLH, I honestly now think that he should stay the hell away from Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by bigdlb12
              I dont wanna see a Hopkins vs DLH 2,as big of a fan I am of DLH, I honestly now think that he should stay the hell away from Hopkins

Totally Agree

Comment

I just don't see the point of DLH continuing to fight at this level. The man dominated in lower divisions, and there's nothing wrong with dropping back down to a class where you rule (unless you take it to an extreme). The thing is that he's simply not built to take on middles...no shame in that.

There's plenty of big-money fights out there for him. Why take this one??

Comment

Originally posted by Bombardier
                  I just don't see the point of DLH continuing to fight at this level. The man dominated in lower divisions, and there's nothing wrong with dropping back down to a class where you rule (unless you take it to an extreme). The thing is that he's simply not built to take on middles...no shame in that.

Totally agree, I would love to see a fight with a few fighters.

Winky-I think if he comes with good defense he would steal it, their is a reason Oscar has been ducking this man for years.

Mosley-NO THANK YOU and NO NEED TO

Spinks-Great fight, Oscar would most likely press the action and catch Cory on the ropes and would be in trouble....Oscar would be to quick for Spinks and probably sting him in the later rounds I.E.-Vargas

Ouma-Not in the same class as Oscar but Kassim would bring a damn good fight.

Last but not least,

Mayweather-A fight I would have loved to see anywhere below 140 but at 140 Oscar would be to much for him.....

Oscar has some big fights below 160 and he needs to realize that....

Comment

Originally posted by Bombardier

there is Winky and Spinks maybe even a Zab or Kostya either at 154 or even 147

Comment

Working...
                    X