No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: BoxingScene.com's 2013 Upset of The Year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: BoxingScene.com's 2013 Upset of The Year

By Jake Donovan - In a year many are hailing as the best in recent – and even distant – memory, it’s quite the honor for any fight to stand out as the best of the field.

Except that no single fight – no matter how great – stood out above the rest.

A single late tiebreaking vote was the difference in selecting Boxingscene.com’s top pick for 2013 Fight of the Year. The truth is that no matter which fight was picked, observers would view the winner and collectively reply, “Oh yeah, what a great fight.”

There have already been two ties in this year’s awards, but for this category a single bout barely stands alone. With that we present the… [Click Here To Read More]

Calling that that much of an upset is pure disrespect for Gonzalez, who should be taken seriously in the ring. Upset of the year was Broner/Maidana in my humble, but accurate opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
      Calling that that much of an upset is pure disrespect for Gonzalez, who should be taken seriously in the ring. Upset of the year was Broner/Maidana in my humble, but accurate opinion.
      Im with you. Gonzalez was a a two weight champ coming in with real KO power. Just cuz he doesnt have star power doesnt mean hes such an underdog as he was made out to be.

Id say Price vs Thompson as Upset of the Year cuz Price was smashing ppl and had Fury vacating tites left n rite to avoid fiting. Thompson consummate pro but old and washed up on his way out.

Comment

Gonzalez-Mares was an overwhelming winner.

Comment

Mares vs Gonzalez gets my vote no way did I see Mares losing the way he did to Gonzalez.

Comment

going into the records of the fighters, those who say its an upset don't know about boxing...

Comment

Definitely. ..........

Comment

I like the choice a lot. I agree with it.

Anyone who says they predicted Jhonny would win this fight is either Dwyer or delusional. There IS NO ONE that predicted this. The ones that did on that poll were likely trolling or, like I said, Dwyer fans.

Gonzalez was coming off a really bad performance against Ponce De Leon 2 fights prior. He got dropped in that fight and lost via a controversial stoppage imo. But he was losing that fight convincingly and it looked like the end of the road for him. Then he fights two bums to get in position to challenge for the title.

Abner Mares was coming off a wipe out of Daniel Ponce De Leon.

Gonzalez was/ is past his prime, a 10-1 underdog, going up against a top 5 ranked P4P fighter in his prime, a fighter who knocked out the guy that stopped him. We knew he had punching power, but we also knew that he didn't have much left, and his chin was checked multiple times.

Gonzalez goes out and knocks out Mares in round 1. It was a massive upset.

The Price vs. Thompson was not really an upset, because Price was unproven. Thompson was his first big step up in competition, despite how old Thompson was. Price got exposed, but not upset.

Comment

"but accurate" haha Mine too.

Comment

Maidana should be taken seriously as well, especially by not very proven Broner. So you disrespect him by calling it a major upset

Comment

Working...
                    X