No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: One More Run - The Last Dance of Ivan Calderon

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: One More Run - The Last Dance of Ivan Calderon

by Cliff Rold - In his prime, he wasn’t everyone’s cup of tea. He won fights with his feet as much as his fists. While the reality may have been that he could hit hard enough for respect, it rarely looked like he could damage a wet paper sack.

Oh, and Ivan Calderon, the former Puerto Rican Olympian, yeah…

…he weighed 105 lbs.

And later 108.

And now, it’s back to 105 again.

The impact of those weights on most of the boxing world is limited to the nations where their champions hail from. Kazuto Ioka, a unified titlist at 105 right now, is one of the best young fighters in the world. Outside Japan, it doesn’t really add up to much.

Mexico’s Ricardo Lopez made some hay at 105 in the 1990s, but almost all of it was as a supplement to undercards, a bone for the super hardcore. Michael Carbajal, at his zenith in a 108 lb. rivalry with Humberto Gonzalez, is for American fans pretty much the beginning and end of Jr. Flyweight attention.

There have been flashes of attention since. Brian Viloria got some looks, but inconsistency saw interest wane until a recent resurgence at 112 lbs. Calderon had his flash as well. [Click Here To Read More]

calderon is a great technician 1 of the best to ever lace em up the smaller divisions dont get a lot of love from regular fans but the hard core fans do appreciate it

Comment

I actually had too google Calderon a few weeks back. I was wondering what happened to him. I hadn't heard about him since Segura. Read his whole wikipedia page. Didn't know he fought Cotto in the amateurs. Also didn't know he got busted with a bunch of blow.

Comment

Originally posted by pacmanis1 View Post
        I actually had too google Calderon a few weeks back. I was wondering what happened to him. I hadn't heard about him since Segura. Read his whole wikipedia page. Didn't know he fought Cotto in the amateurs. Also didn't know he got busted with a bunch of blow.
        A lot of coke was found on a property he owns. he never was busted for anything.

Comment

Originally posted by PRBOXINGCOTTO View Post
          calderon is a great technician 1 of the best to ever lace em up the smaller divisions dont get a lot of love from regular fans but the hard core fans do appreciate it
          I agree...

Comment

Ivan the great was always an excellent boxer, but in the words of Jay-Z - "he couldn't crush a grape in a fruit fight"

Comment

Originally posted by PRBOXINGCOTTO View Post
              no punch, bad eyes, good boxer, hardly an all time great..ever hear of Pone Kingpetch, Chartoi Chianoi, Maso Oba, Fighting Harada, Eder Jofre??They were all time greats...

Comment

He needs to retire already. He has a business and he should concentrate in that and his family. Fuentes might hurt him bad.

Comment

It still cracks me up every time I think about little Calderon beating Cotto in the amateurs.

Comment

Originally posted by pacmanis1 View Post
                    The reality is, when Calderon fought Cotto when he was 17-18 years old and Cotto was about 11 or 12. But its still hilarious to say Calderon beat Cotto. My homeboy is a huge Cotto fan and I bust his balls with this little tidbit all the time.

Comment

Working...
                    X