No announcement yet.

American amateur boxing..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jsfd26 View Post
    Idk man, some of these Americans seemed to fight to tentative or passive from the second round on. Warren is a perfect example from today. I forgot who the other guy was, he just pretty much got bullied in the 3rd round and lost.
    Maybe so, but the way some of these fights are being scored, it wouldn't matter who you are or what you do, you're gonna lose. If there's one change that needs to happen, it's with the scoring.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
      Maybe so, but the way some of these fights are being scored, it wouldn't matter who you are or what you do, you're gonna lose. If there's one change that needs to happen, it's with the scoring.
      Yea, I guess you're right . But like I said before, this is boxing. Robberies will happen no matter what.

Comment

Yea, I guess you're right . But like I said before, this is boxing. Robberies will happen no matter what.
        What gets me is that there's no rest. At least with the pros, you tend to get a couple of weeks between robberies to recover. With the Olympics, you're being hit over the head with a terrible decision every other bout! It's just disgraceful. I'm reeling! The scoring is so tainted that I'm not sure I can even enjoy a Cuban victory. It's become a farce. At least you get an idea of who’s good and who’s not. That’s the saving grace. You can look forward to some of these kids becoming pros someday.

Comment

What gets me is that there's no rest. At least with the pros, you tend to get a couple of weeks between robberies to recover. With the Olympics, you're being hit over the head with a terrible decision every other bout! It's just disgraceful. I'm reeling! The scoring is so tainted that I'm not sure I can even enjoy a Cuban victory. It's become a farce. At least you get an idea of who’s good and who’s not. That’s the saving grace. You can look forward to some of these kids becoming pros someday.
          Well, you just gotta take it and smile. Watching the pros this year got me somewhat 'acclimated' to the robberies. When Savon got robbed yesterday I was like "wow..." and just moved on. Enjoy the rest of the Cubans left in the competition, that's about the only thing we or me least can do.

Comment

Spence decision got overturned. There's still hope.

Comment

thats just the truth of it. its a crap shoot. whos gonna win? who knows. the american amateur system has plenty of issues, no doubt about it. im definitely not a fan, but in the end, if a fighters, american or otherwise, deserves a victory and its stolen from them, then thats the main problem. that needs to be fixed before anything else is. you just dont know how to win and u cant win if the goalpost is constantly changing.

Comment

Well, you just gotta take it and smile. Watching the pros this year got me somewhat 'acclimated' to the robberies. When Savon got robbed yesterday I was like "wow..." and just moved on. Enjoy the rest of the Cubans left in the competition, that's about the only thing we or me least can do.
                Savon got robbed, but I take solace in the fact that a lot of others are getting the shaft, too. I can't complain. Some will argue that Alvarez (Cuba) lost to Diaz (U.S.). It's a great, big shit sandwich...and everybody's taking a bite.

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
                  thats just the truth of it. its a crap shoot. whos gonna win? who knows. the american amateur system has plenty of issues, no doubt about it. im definitely not a fan, but in the end, if a fighters, american or otherwise, deserves a victory and its stolen from them, then thats the main problem. that needs to be fixed before anything else is. you just dont know how to win and u cant win if the goalpost is constantly changing.
                  To me, a victory is meaningless if you don't deserve it. And watching someone get robbed offends me as a human being.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
                    its not so much the scoring system as the fact that american boxing simply isnt as good as it used to be. most americans lack in fundamentals which gets exposed more easily in the ams than the pros.

look at warren, the kid was just plain sloppy in there. stepping back in straight lines with his hands at his waist and whatnot, giving up all sorts of free shots. when you only got 9min and the fight is scored blow for blow you cant get away with giving away nearly half a dozen points like that.

errol spence looked very good to me though, a bit raw in some ways but very good overall. pity he got robbed.
                    USA boxing amateur boxing is corrupt through and through. You wonder why our boxing team sucks. If you have ever watched an amateur show or tournament, you will realize, it is a popularity contest. A lot of the times the best kids do not get through because they get robbed. It is abundant enough to affect the state of USA boxing. I have seen guys totally out class another and lose too many times. Multiple standing 8s and still win. Here in Cali the amateur judges suck, a lot of the officials are related or recruit family and friends. You look at a popular boxing gym and you wonder if they are just that good, lucky or what as all the kids seem to be holding some hardware. Amateur boxing is BS. Kids might as well turn pro as soon as they can or learn to knock someone out. I hate the way the USA amateur programs is run. If you want to see the best rise to the top, it needs an overhaul.

Comment

Boxers from USA and Mexico tends to go pro younger/earlier so I'm not surprised that nowadays Easter-Euros and Cubans are better in ams. I mean seasoned near 30 pros with hundreds of fights VS young prospects...
                      Americans and Mexicans do well in pros though while Eastern-Euros and Cubans tend to drawn in the am system too long and after that they have just a short time to translate and have success among pros. That maybe changing nowadays with more and more Easter-Euros and more Cubans turn pro/defect.

Comment

Working...
                      X