No announcement yet.

Done trashing Margarito's career; let's reevaluate Cotto's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
    He is a very good fighter, but he is somewhat of a front runner although not everyone was able to take advantage when the going got tough. So while a poor trait at least he has shown the ability to pull it together if allowed.

What always bothers me about Cotto is when he fights going backwards, because he does it to avoid damage but ends up taking more than if he just fought aggressively. A short stocky guy should press inside and get inside the range where the other guy can be effective and work from there, moving away just doesn't suit him because he never has the range advantage to take advantage of moving away.

Cotto has real talent and boxing skills but to me he lacks that attention to detail that really allows a guy to move beyond being very good, but his career has been solid he avenged one of his loses and his other defeat is to one of the top couple guys of the era, don't know how you can really knock that to much.
    It may be too late but it would be nice to see Cotto work on his in-fighting skills because they're average at best, if that.

Comment

Originally posted by NAPO View Post
      Cotto never faded in the Clottey fight.

Cotto was boxing Clottey pretty good until (in my opinion) that intenational headbutt came..Cotto couldn't see jack **** trough that eye.
      I said Clottey fades, not Cotto.

Comment

The only way I'd want a rematch with Pacquiao is if Pacquiao loses to Floyd. Or, like I said, if Pacquiao is proven to be on the juice in the future (not saying he is, so relax. Just hypothetically speaking).

Comment

Originally posted by IMDAZED View Post
          It may be too late but it would be nice to see Cotto work on his in-fighting skills because they're average at best, if that.
          He can throw the punches he just lacks the defense tricks to do it, when you look at Cotto you just think inside fighter but he fights nothing like that.

Comment

. How far behind do you think?
            Reasonably far.

I wouldn't even put him infront of Winky Wright who I would argue isn't a future HOF'er.

I wouldn't put him above Shane either, no way.

Let alone the ATG's of the last decade like Mayweather, Pacquaio, Hopkins, Morales, Barrera, Marquez etc.

Comment

I think the Cotto we have now is the Cotto we will always see.

In terms of skills he's pretty much always been the same.

So any infighting or be able to handle pressure (from a legit opponent) he's just never going to attain.

I'm suprised a lot of people would like to see Cotto rematch Pacquaio. That's a fight I definitely don't want to see again.

The outcome will be the same.

Comment

When I did my top 10 fighters of the decade in 2010, I believe it went something like:

1. Mayweather
                2. Pacquiao
                3. Hopkins
                4. Barrera
                5. Marquez
                6. Cotto
                7. Calzaghe
                8. Wright
                9. Mosley
                10. Wladimir Klitschko

Now that's just based on what these guys did from 2000 to 2009. Now that one of Cotto's losses is basically null and void, he's only lost to the guy I rated 2nd in fighter of the decade. Career-wise, I think he's accomplished more than Calzaghe, Wright and Wlad. You don't have to agree though.

Comment

I'm all for a Pac rematch but with random drug testing

Comment

mmm, i dont wanna see pac-cotto again.........i still dont see how cotto could win against pac........

Comment

Or at least without sapping Cotto by making him weight in at 145 or whatever.

Comment

Working...
                      X