No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Chris John: Time Never Comes Back

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Chris John: Time Never Comes Back

By Cliff Rold - Not surprisingly, the end of longtime WBA Featherweight beltholder Chris John’s reign marked the end of his career. As reported here at BoxingScene on Thursday, John has announced his retirement following a retirement after six rounds to South Africa’s Simpiwe Veteyka on December 6th.

In closing his farewell statement, John stated, “Now that I have achieved more than I have ever dreamt of in my career I would like to formally announce my retirement. I would like to give back to the sport of boxing which has been so good to me and given me and my family a better life. And continue to represent Indonesia as best as I can. Most importantly now I will spend time with my wife and children, the most important title I have held in my life is being a father.”

It was a noble sentiment after a long run. A professional since 1998, John was a staple near the top of the 126 lb. class since winning the WBA’s interim belt in 2003. He garnered recognition as their sole titlist when “Super” champion Juan Manuel Marquez was stripped in 2005, ultimately making 18 title defenses over the full body of his belted run. [Click Here To Read More]

he shoulda pressed for unification at some point
    he fought Juarez supposedly to make a US audience
    after he beat him he coulda followed up by facing some ranked guys
    John was good but the article is right, he didn't put in the work

Comment

Great article.

Comment

he had many chances 2 fight the best & 2 unify his title but NEVER did...he's not elite, doesn't belong in the hall, nor does Otkke or Gatti...

Comment

Good piece. Good fighter, probably a good guy, but like so many other belt holders in this era of 5-6 "champions" per division, he almost always took the path of least resistance.

He's probably the biggest reason, along with Ottke, Pong and Narvaez, we long ago should have stopped considering the number of "title defenses" a legitimate measure of greatness.

Comment

Good article, but him not being mentioned with the greats won't bother him, because in Indonesia, he will be.

Comment

Originally posted by giacomino View Post
              Good piece. Good fighter, probably a good guy, but like so many other belt holders in this era of 5-6 "champions" per division, he almost always took the path of least resistance.

He's probably the biggest reason, along with Ottke, Pong and Narvaez, we long ago should have stopped considering the number of "title defenses" a legitimate measure of greatness.
              I agree to an extent though Pong made up a lot of ground in what he did after the first reign. He's a legit HOFer.

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                I agree to an extent though Pong made up a lot of ground in what he did after the first reign. He's a legit HOFer.
                Yup. His first reign was filled with a lot of BS defenses. His second reign had some good wins. Miranda, Kameda, Rungvisai and Sosa aren't world-beaters, but they are solid victories.

Comment

If he felt like it's time to hang it up, let him go. Would have liked to see him go on a win but can't win em all right!

Comment

Originally posted by crold1 View Post
                    Agreed, at the very least Pong was considered the lineal champ in his weight class. Pong is a Hall of Famer. But John had a decade to try and secure the Lineal title and never did. John good career but not a Hall of Famer.

Comment

Working...
                    X