Tony Zale vs Marcel Cerdan Fight Film *Rare*

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tony Zale vs Marcel Cerdan Fight Film *Rare*

Tony Zale defends his World Middlwieght Title against Marcel Cerdan

I didn't even realize this footage existed, excellent find (quite a recent upload). Zale is one of the all-time great middleweights and Cerdan is perhaps the last truly great French fighter.

The trilogy with Graziano just took everything Zale had left (although he looked great in the third fight). I recall Graziano saying later that he thought he might (and was prepared to) have died, the stoppage was pretty exceedingly late by modern standards (punctuated by one of the best KOs ever, although Graziano was already out on his feet).

Comment

Originally posted by Tengoshi View Post
      I didn't even realize this footage existed, excellent find
      Thanks Tengoshi, I'am sure alot of people will want to see this.

The trilogy with Graziano just took everything Zale had left (although he looked great in the third fight). I recall Graziano saying later that he thought he might (and was prepared to) have died, the stoppage was pretty exceedingly late by modern standards (punctuated by one of the best KOs ever, although Graziano was already out on his feet).
      Indeed there is no douting, Zale and Grazaino took something out deep inside of them, in there epic trilogy of fights. But I still feel even before the two had there 3 bouts, Cerdan still would of beat Zale, and I always thought Grazaino was very lucky not stepping inside the ring with Cerdan.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw16bf View Post
        Indeed there is no douting, Zale and Grazaino took something out deep inside of them, in there epic trilogy of fights. But I still feel even before the two had there 3 bouts, Cerdan still would of beat Zale, and I always thought Grazaino was very lucky not stepping inside the ring with Cerdan.
        It's hard to say, that Zale-Cerdan-LaMotta roundelay was quite confusing. LaMotta was past his prime when he beat Cerdan, oddly enough. Zale I think was clearly past his prime, perhaps from the start of his comeback.

Comment

It's hard to say, that Zale-Cerdan-LaMotta roundelay was quite confusing. LaMotta was past his prime when he beat Cerdan, oddly enough. Zale I think was clearly past his prime, perhaps from the start of his comeback.
          I still feel Cerdan would of beat Zale anytime in his career, do alot of people think Cerdan was past his best when he was fighting in the U.S.A.

The start of Zale's comeback after the war was rather impressive, Zale won his first 12 fights back, including the win over Graziano and wins over few tough cookies. In his post war comeback he was only defeated by 2 hall of famers in Graziano(which he avenged twice) and Cerdan. Other than that he wasn't beaten. He may have not been as good as he was pre the war, but he was rather impressive considereing the time that had been tooken off his career.

And also going into the Cerdan fight he was on a 4 fight win streak, and was coming of a brillant KO win over Graziano the third time. This by many is viewed as Cerdan's best ever win, virtually dominating Zale from start to finsih, and ending with matters with a brutal KO.

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw16bf View Post
            I still feel Cerdan would of beat Zale anytime in his career, do alot of people think Cerdan was past his best when he was fighting in the U.S.A.

The start of Zale's comeback after the war was rather impressive, Zale won his first 12 fights back, including the win over Graziano and wins over few tough cookies. In his post war comeback he was only defeated by 2 hall of famers in Graziano(which he avenged twice) and Cerdan. Other than that he wasn't beaten. He may have not been as good as he was pre the war, but he was rather impressive considereing the time that had been tooken off his career.

And also going into the Cerdan fight he was on a 4 fight win streak, and was coming of a brillant KO win over Graziano the third time. This by many is viewed as Cerdan's best ever win, virtually dominating Zale from start to finsih, and ending with matters with a brutal KO.
            There's not much evidence to go on, Zale had a strange record with a lot of losses and appeared to be a late bloomer. Definitely a great comeback run. No question that Zale was Cerdan's best win.

Comment

There's not much evidence to go on, Zale had a strange record with a lot of losses and appeared to be a late bloomer. Definitely a great comeback run. No question that Zale was Cerdan's best win.
              Indeed Zale did have his fair share of losses and had spells of blowing hot and cold. In his first 12 fights he lost two of them, on decisions, against Billy Hood (10-19-1) and George Black (9-0-1). He once went of a spell were out of 15 fights he only won 7 of them losing 7 and drawing 1.

All in all pre war he had 16 losses and some to very medicore oppostion. But on his day and in form, Zale was a good fighter, very tough and a big puncher and a great body puncher who always gave 100%.

Another underrated win for Cerdan, is defensive genius Holan Willaims, a black fighter who like so many was not given the chances. Williams held wins over Archie Moore, Charley Burley and Lloyd Marshall, Cerdan beat him on a UD points victory in 1946.
              Last edited by Southpaw16BF; 05-15-2009, 12:34 PM.

Comment

lamotta was a better boxer than cerdan, zale, or graziano.

his fights with sugar prove my point.

but I rank basilio above lamotta. basilio was one badass onion farmer.

Comment

Originally posted by Flicker Jab View Post
                  lamotta was a better boxer than cerdan, zale, or graziano.

his fights with sugar prove my point.

but I rank basilio above lamotta. basilio was one badass onion farmer.
                  Well what do you mean Lamotta was a better boxer than Cerdan, Zale, and Graziano. In terms of ability or legacy. Explain?

And what was the need to bring Carmen Basilio into the subject? Completey out of the blue?......

Comment

Tony Zale V Rocky Graziano 3

Comment

Working...
                    X