Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I make a scene or chill the **** out?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I were you I wouldn't fly off the handle at the teacher but I would let them know that you're not happy about it. 8 years old is a bit early for learning about the ins and outs of why a girl took her own life and about suicide in general. Plus if they were thinking about teaching that they should have contacted the parents to warn them in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Bringer View Post
      I can understand you being upset about your son now knowing what tit pics are, but believe me, if that boy is straight, he's been obsessed with the titty for quite some time now.

I'd go pay the teacher a visit and have a rational discussion about it. I can't speak for the school's intentions but it seems to me that teaching young children about the real life consequences of bullying at a young age is a damn good deterrent from said kids engaging in said bullying as part of a future behavior pattern.

So on the negative side your boy knows about *******, but on the positive side he's likely never going to bully someone into killing themselves, and is now less likely to be bullied by his peers. I'd say that's a decent investment.

I wholeheartedly agree that bullying should be discussed.

My thing is that it is such an adult situation. He cries over fuking pokemon cards How is he emotionally capable of understanding taking one's own life? Also, introducing these situations to kids. I discussed this with them to see what they have been told and my daughter told me the new thing to say to each other on the playground when they are arguing is 'go kill yourself'. Whatever happened to fuk off? Like I mean, I just can't see the rational reason for introducing this subject matter to 7 and 8 year old children. 11, 12, 13 ... I can deal with that, but these kids still play with Barbies and Pokemon. It's not appropriate to me.

Comment

Another reason not to send kids to Catholic school

Comment

Originally posted by -The Glove- View Post
          I must be the only person in America not familiar with the Amanda Todd story. Yeah, I've seen RIP Amanda Todd pages on FB and figured she committed suicide based on some posts, but that's the extent of it.
          She sent some pics to a paedo, he sent them around to school friends, they bullied her till she killed herself, in a nutshell.

Originally posted by The Weebler II View Post
          Speak to the principal.
          I think that is the route I am going to take.

Originally posted by Own3d View Post
          Kids at that age are very inquisitive and like to try out things they see/hear. I'd be worried too that they are discussing suicide in class.
          Exactly what I fear. They are too young to understand that suicide is forever.

Originally posted by Pretty Boy1 View Post
          If I were you I wouldn't fly off the handle at the teacher but I would let them know that you're not happy about it. 8 years old is a bit early for learning about the ins and outs of why a girl took her own life and about suicide in general. Plus if they were thinking about teaching that they should have contacted the parents to warn them in advance.
          This is what I think too. They should have given parents the option of having our kids removed from the class during these discussions, some kids are not emotionally capable of processing this.

Originally posted by Russian Crushin View Post
          Another reason not to send kids to Catholic school
          I went to Catholic school and don't remember ever heaaring about suicide till my last years in high school

Comment

Originally posted by Bossy View Post
            I wholeheartedly agree that bullying should be discussed.

My thing is that it is such an adult situation. He cries over fuking pokemon cards How is he emotionally capable of understanding taking one's own life? Also, introducing these situations to kids. I discussed this with them to see what they have been told and my daughter told me the new thing to say to each other on the playground when they are arguing is 'go kill yourself'. Whatever happened to fuk off? Like I mean, I just can't see the rational reason for introducing this subject matter to 7 and 8 year old children. 11, 12, 13 ... I can deal with that, but these kids still play with Barbies and Pokemon. It's not appropriate to me.
            I think schools are bad full stop. They brainwash children.

I can remember when I used to cry over pogs.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaunRoberts View Post
              I think schools are bad full stop. They brainwash children.

I can remember when I used to cry over pogs.
              I remember pogs!

Comment

Hey Bossy ..... I would definitely pull the teacher to the carpet to clearly explain his\her motives and agenda for presenting that kind of material to very young adolescents.

Kids that age are like sponges and exposing them to ideas and concepts that are adult in nature before they are ready to handle it, can have very serious consequences.

For example: A child that doesn't have an awareness of suicide, wouldn't consider it as an option, when faced with extremely difficult challenges. The converse of that, is when a child is made aware of suicide being used as an option by other kids facing similar circumstances, will then consider it.

Maybe a poor example but I think the message is clear. DO NOT expose kids to ideas before they have the mental capacity to handle it. That is the first rule of education ... last I checked.

I would get in that teacher's world in the worst way .......

Comment

Originally posted by arraamis View Post
                  Hey Bossy ..... I would definitely pull the teacher to the carpet to clearly explain his\her motives and agenda for presenting that kind of material to very young adolescents.

Kids that age are like sponges and exposing them to ideas and concepts that are adult in nature before they are ready to handle it, can have very serious consequences.

For example: A child that doesn't have an awareness of suicide, wouldn't consider it as an option, when faced with extremely difficult challenges. The converse of that, is when a child is made aware of suicide being used as an option by other kids facing similar circumstances, will then consider it.

Maybe a poor example but I think the message is clear. DO NOT expose kids to ideas before they have the mental capacity to handle it. That is the first rule of education ... last I checked.

I would get in that teacher's world in the worst way .......
                  Suddenly, I remember why I love you

That is just it.

I don't let them drink soda, watch R rated films, play with scissors, I don't want them discussing suicide. I think it's my decision as a parent to not have them exposed to this.

Comment

That is just it.

I don't let them drink soda
                    YOU EVIL WOMAN!

Tbh, I can't remember drinking fizzy pop when I was a kid. My mum would sometimes make squash with carbonated water.

Comment

That is just it.

I don't let them drink soda, watch R rated films, play with scissors, I don't want them discussing suicide. I think it's my decision as a parent to not have them exposed to this.
                      Mutual indeed!!!!

That specific topic is to be handled, like you stated, by the parents, not some nitwit teacher, who evidently doesn't know how to plan a curriculum for elementary school aged kids.

Comment

Working...
                      X