No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Seth Mitchell-Chazz Witherspoon To Open Hopkins-Dawson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Seth Mitchell-Chazz Witherspoon To Open Hopkins-Dawson

According to undefeated heavyweight contender Seth "Mayhem" Mitchell (24-0-1, 18 KOs), he will face veteran Chazz Witherspoon (30-2, 22 KOs) on April 28th at the Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City. Mitchell-Witherspoon will be the HBO televised co-feature to the light heavyweight clash between Bernard Hopkins and Chad Dawson. Mitchell has knocked out his last nine opponents.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Was hoping for a better step up. Hopefully we'll see it soon.

I was actually hoping they'd bring in Tony Thompson, who hasn't lost since the Klitschko fight, and who beat Witherspoon. Oh well. Still think Seth Mitchell is overrated.

Comment

Why does HBO refuse to show top heavyweights, while they show Seth Mitchell in with a bum who was stopped by Thompson and dominated by Arreola?

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
        Why does HBO refuse to show top heavyweights, while they show Seth Mitchell in with a bum who was stopped by Thompson and dominated by Arreola?
        No clue. I would have liked to see Povetkin-Huck on Showtime. I would have liked to see Klitschko-Chisora on HBO. I would like to see Klitschko-Mormeck on HBO March 3rd. There's no other fights that day. Why not???

But, it's probably because Seth Mitchell is the next American hope at HW, even though he's overrated. I was hoping they'd make Mitchell-Thompson.

Comment

Originally posted by 4CornersKid View Post
          No clue. I would have liked to see Povetkin-Huck on Showtime. I would have liked to see Klitschko-Chisora on HBO. I would like to see Klitschko-Mormeck on HBO March 3rd. There's no other fights that day. Why not???

But, it's probably because Seth Mitchell is the next American hope at HW, even though he's overrated. I was hoping they'd make Mitchell-Thompson.
          Yes, if Mitchell was in with a meaningful opponent like Thompson, it would be a better fight.

But Al Haymon is very close to HBO's Kery Davis, and so he's able to have showcase fight after showcase fight on HBO for the boxers he manages.

Comment

I think calling Witherspoon a bum is a bit of an overstatement, he's only lost to top fighters. I just think it's more so a stay-busy TV-friendly fight for Seth. Lets not forgot he just destroyed T. Ibragimov in his last fight. Ibragimov had never been stopped, and had been in there with Calvin Brock and Tony Thompson. Most people felt also that Ibragimov beat Jean Mormeck but got robbed. So the point still remains, he's not going in there with a bum. He's fighting a guy in Witherspoon that if Chazz shows up in shape, he could cause some problems for Seth.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmann400 View Post
              Ibragimov had never been stopped, and had been in there with Calvin Brock and Tony Thompson. Most people felt also that Ibragimov beat Jean Mormeck but got robbed. So the point still remains, he's not going in there with a bum. He's fighting a guy in Witherspoon that if Chazz shows up in shape, he could cause some problems for Seth.
              Timur wasn't robbed, nobody who ACTUALLY WATCHED THE FIGHT says that. I scored it 115-113 for Mormeck (Jean-Marc perhaps did receive a gift against Oquendo).

Ibragimov is old, feather-fisted, was coming off a loss and he hadn't fought in a year. He was never very good, he never had a single win over a top 50 opponent in his career and always lost whenever he fought anybody decent.

Seth Mitchell needs to step up and fight a decent heavyweight. They shouldn't have fights against journeymen like Witherspoon on HBO.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmann400 View Post
                I think calling Witherspoon a bum is a bit of an overstatement, he's only lost to top fighters. I just think it's more so a stay-busy TV-friendly fight for Seth. Lets not forgot he just destroyed T. Ibragimov in his last fight. Ibragimov had never been stopped, and had been in there with Calvin Brock and Tony Thompson. Most people felt also that Ibragimov beat Jean Mormeck but got robbed. So the point still remains, he's not going in there with a bum. He's fighting a guy in Witherspoon that if Chazz shows up in shape, he could cause some problems for Seth.
                I agree, Witherspoon doesn't look too bad for an opponent for Mitchell, certainly better than the guy Wilder fought and Mitchell said he was planning to fight 3-4 times in 2012 so with some luck we'll see a better opponent for him this year. I think Mitchell really has potential to be competitive in the post-Kllitschko HW division.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
                  Timur wasn't robbed, nobody who ACTUALLY WATCHED THE FIGHT says that. I scored it 115-113 for Mormeck (Jean-Marc perhaps did receive a gift against Oquendo).

Ibragimov is old, feather-fisted, was coming off a loss and he hadn't fought in a year. He was never very good, he never had a single win over a top 50 opponent in his career and always lost whenever he fought anybody decent.

Seth Mitchell needs to step up and fight a decent heavyweight. They shouldn't have fights against journeymen like Witherspoon on HBO.
                  The point still remains, Timur is a good boxer. Not much power but he had a good jab. He was good enough to hang tough with Calvin Brock and go the distance with Thompson. So the fact that Seth was able to hurt and stop him so early I think Seth deserves credit for that.

Why are you discrediting Mitchell, so far he's been an exciting prospect that looked to have promise in his fight against Ibragimov. I'll be honest, I never thought too much of Seth until I saw his performance vs Timur. As for him fighting Tony Thompson, I still think it's a little early for him to be fighting someone like Thompson right now. On top of that I believe Tony's waiting on an IBF eliminator match.

Comment

I mean, look. Seth Mitchell had little to no amateur experience, so given that I think he's been brought along perfectly. He's been fighting much better competition than Wilder who was an Olympic bronze medalist. And he seems to be learning with each passing fight, so why rush things when he's still young? (for a heavyweight atleast) But hey, that's just MY opinion.

Comment

Working...
                    X