No announcement yet.

Is Canelo to big for Mayweather?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by right_hand_lead View Post
    Age old question..the answer is always the same.

It's not size alone that determines a fight; it's a combination of skill & size (see Pac vs Margarito...Jones vs Ruiz).

Canelo is a solid kid and packs a punch. If his boxing skills are enough to trouble Mayweather in addition to his size, then it could be an issue.

I don't see that happening though..he's too hitable.
    Alvarez's promoter, Richard Schafer, is trying to avoid putting him in the ring with Austin Trout because he doesn't think Alvarez can beat Trout. If he can't beat Trout, he definitely can't beat Mayweather.

Comment

No, but who has Canelo beat? Old Mosley? Lopez?

Comment

Originally posted by NearHypnos View Post
        Chavez Jr wasnt too big for Martinez and fight night the siz diff seemed kind of dramatic.. If they can meet the limit let em have at it. Don't fight at a weight class and expect sympathy because the champ is bigger....
        Truth is, if you got the skill advantage, almost no fighter is too big for you. If we're talking about 180lbs on fight night big, and the bigger fighter is really skilled, that's too big.

170lbs vs 150lbs, and the 150 pounder has the skill and style advantage, like Pac-Clottey, then size will not matter.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckguy
          Canelo is not too big for May
          May will fight him because of the money involved
          Canelo is 5'9" and he isnt too big
          Oscar is lsited as 5'10" not too big for floyd
          but Martinez who is listed as 5'10" (but is more like 5'9" I met the dude) is "a MW " so even though we have weight classes and Sergio can make 154 Fraud still wont fight him
          oh but Floyd is an all time great who takes on all people who call him out
          like JMM
          like an aging Cotto
          but Pac and martinez both call him out and CRICKETS hahaa
          height doesn't really determine someone being big...pac never called out FMW ever he always had to be forced to say he want to fight FMW..unless you consider arum and roach using floyd name as MP calling out FMW you silly fool..

guess what sergio martinez also called out MP you think MP WILL FIGHT HIM..YEAH SURE HE WILL MR ITS UP TO MY PROMOTER

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev-
            Quote:

Originally Posted by NearHypnos

Chavez Jr wasnt too big for Martinez and fight night the siz diff seemed kind of dramatic.. If they can meet the limit let em have at it. Don't fight at a weight class and expect sympathy because the champ is bigger....

Truth is, if you got the skill advantage, almost no fighter is too big for you. If we're talking about 180lbs on fight night big, and the bigger fighter is really skilled, that's too big.

170lbs vs 150lbs, and the 150 pounder has the skill and style advantage, like Pac-Clottey, then size will not matter.
            clottey actually has more skill than pac but he fights in a shell MP was just quicker and is..when he did throw punches MP was very hitable

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

Alvarez is right at 154lbs, size and weight thats his class right now, but compared to the 160lbs I say he would be a little small for that weight.

Comment

He's not too big just too dangerous. We know MAyweather only fights sure wins in which he's the big favorite. The odds would be too close for Mayweather's tastes.

Comment

Canelo is a small JMW, believe me. I've met him and he isn't big at the weight. Trout is a big JMW and will be much stronger on May 4th. Canelo is no bigger than Victor Ortiz who is an absolute monster of a welterweight.

Comment

Originally posted by MUFC#1 View Post
                    Canelo is a small JMW, believe me. I've met him and he isn't big at the weight. Trout is a big JMW and will be much stronger on May 4th. Canelo is no bigger than Victor Ortiz who is an absolute monster of a welterweight.
                    Making sense fail....lol. Canelos is a junior middleweight in a welterweight's body just a bit bigger.

Comment

Canelo will definitely be quite a bit bigger than Mayweather on fight night.

Nothing he hasn't overcome before though.

Comment

Working...
                      X