View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 12:22 AM
Yogi
Hey, Boo Boo

Rep Power: 143 Yogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 40,139.36
Boxingscene's elite - !! AI-Holmes!! To a clever bear. A Superbear! - BatTheMan 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycruz
Yogi, Thanks for the info and stat page!

Yep, it's him because I asked today if Candy Slim was his old name, he said yes, as was Jeff "Triphammer" Merritt. I am his home health aid and have been visiting him everyday for the last month or so. He talks about the days of Ali and Don King and all that jazz. Why I'm writing this is because he is looking for old memorabilia that he can make a portfolio with.

Not sure of what things he did in the past outside of fight cards, but he's a great guy and healthwise, he is doing ok. After the stroke he lost some use of one leg so thats where I come in with assisted living tasks.

Doing a search, Merritt's name only appears briefly in very long and tedious articles about rankings, (the kind of pages you squint your eyes at) yet I have not found a bio of some sort. If you know other sources of history, maybe even people from back in the day hanging onto old stuff like videos, magazines or whatever, please forward this posting.

Thanks Again,
Jay Cruz

jaycruz76@aol.com
Mr. Cruz, it's unfortunate to hear about Jeff's stroke, but it's really good to hear that he's getting taken care of and is also doing okay nowadays. I tried to find something else on Jeff that would help him out, but's there's not much to be found with the exception of this article;

http://www.thesweetscience.com/boxin...m-jeff-merritt

I hope that article helps out a little bit.

I can also point you to a boxing site that just might be able to provide Jeff with what he's looking for. A lot of these guys who post on the following site have been boxing fans from even before Jeff's time and would no doubt have some memories to share...if not some actual articles that were written about Jeff during his boxing career (a couple guys have helped me with copied articles and such, and I'm only a fan);

www.cyberboxingzone.com

If you just explain the situation to the guys over there I can almost guarantee they will help you and Jeff with whatever they have and be more than happy to do so!

I also personally know of somebody who has video of what could've been Jeff's career best victory, and that was the 1st round KO of the former WBA champion, Ernie Terrell. If that's also something Jeff is looking for, hey I'll be glad to get a copy of it for him, without a doubt.