View Single Post
Old 06-28-2005, 01:32 PM
Yogi
Hey, Boo Boo

Rep Power: 143 Yogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond reputeYogi has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 40,271.36
Boxingscene's elite - !! AI-Holmes!! To a clever bear. A Superbear! - BatTheMan 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycruz
Hello, does anyone have anything else on Jeff Merritt of the 70's? Like a picture or other articles? I'm trying to find out if this is the same Jeff Merritt I recently met. Please contact me, as I have other communications FROM him that he would like to relate. He currently resides in Las Vegas.

Thank You,
Jay Cruz
Sorry man, but I don't have any photos or artciles on Jeff Merritt, but I do remember a little bit about him.

Merritt was a tall, lanky heavyweight, whose probably best known for being the very first fighter that Don King took under his wing. And he was also known as one of hardest punchers from that era, and his natural power was said to be comparable to that of George Foreman and Earnie Shavers. He apparently had a hellacious left hook on him, and some might remember him for breaking Earnie Shavers' jaw in a sparring session (which caused Shavers' fight with Quarry to be postponed for a time). He reportedly was the only fighter to have ever knocked down the VERY tough, Ron Stander, as he gave Stander quite the beating in that fight.

Umm, beyond what's on his fight record, I'm not sure what else I can tell you. Although the last I heard of him he was living in Las Vegas, so that might be your guy. I just hope he's doing much better than what I last remember reading about him, because he was apparently going through some pretty tough times back then (there was a mention in a Don King book that stated Merritt used to hang around outside during the big fight cards in Las Vegas and beg for money, as well as some other rumours that he was heavuliy involved in drugs).

If it is in fact Jeff Merritt...wish him all the best!