View Single Post
Old 09-23-2008, 04:46 AM
TheGreatA
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 42 TheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond reputeTheGreatA has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 179,287,312,896.55
Total Points: 180,287,560,078.41
To a great poster!! - abosworth great poster. - Melly-Mel For finding the Guzman stream, when nobody else could. - The_Bringer Just wanted to keep the pattern going Machine - danc1984 One of NSBs best contributors - BostonGuy 
7000 posts, congrats!! - JAB5239 To the LinkMaster! - S a m u r a i Respects to a great poster - Gift Of Gab Props on the picture! :lol1: - Spacey1991 Jussi Jääskeläinen - ЯiZО 
For Busting Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 To Celebrate The Exposure Of Rafael Benitez aka Slimey Limey - poet682006 thanks for the lesson! - mellow_mood This gift is for the videos you posted on my Tyson/Patterson thread a while back.  I recently noticed you posted some great interview videos of Patterson on the thread which I missed at the time because I didn’t follow up on checking the responses. - Benny Leonard For doing a great Glen Johnson highlight video! - St Lion 
To a great historian - Stoppage Good debate. No hard feelings. - Method Checker HERES TO YOU LEFTY - markbnlv Thanks for sharing your boxing knowledge. - Talisayen No Message - dancovboxer 
Hepatitis C - BattlingNelson World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - MARKBNLV 

I would favour Liston, he was at his best against fighters like Rocky. Marciano would come straight at him.

Liston was a good boxer but he was also a little slower and fought rather conservatively, which is why he didn't do great against movers.
He did beat Eddie Machen, Folley and others but he was better when his opponent stood right in front of him, like Marciano would.

It's true that Frazier, or rather Frazier's management, didn't want a fight with Liston because they felt he was not a favourable match-up and taking a risk against Liston who no one wanted to see in the title picture again didn't make any sense. Can't blame them after the 'show' Liston put on in the rematch against Ali..
A whole lot of other top contenders avoided him also... except Leotis Martin who fought a brilliant fight against a slowened down Liston, ending Liston's dreams of another world title shot. Unfortunately the fight ended Martin's career also.
Nothing good came out of that fight, except the highlight reel KO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc_268cv1pI
Liston beats up Willi Besmanoff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO6gqaQ5uC4
The slugfest against Cleveland Williams

Last edited by TheManchine; 09-23-2008 at 04:49 AM.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<