View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 02:10 PM
IMDAZED
You'll resort to race

Rep Power: 90 IMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond reputeIMDAZED has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 112,689,252,876,071.00
Total Points: 1,000,114,692,418,369,024.00
for knowing your stuff! - natas206 thanks for the info. - TRUTH For that homerun of a post, bud. - Sweet Pea 50 An apple for one of BoxingScene's most knowledgeable posters - danc1984 BOOM - Fiend 
Excellent poster - ADDICT MOH. For continously educating NSB. - BattlingNelson been a while mate! - Tamis_Siensya No Message - WESS 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaYaN_SuN View Post
I was about to make a post about this after the Cotto fight. But no, Marg is past his prime, the Margarito that got past Six Head Lewis with those fairly decent fast hands was far more faster then this Margarito we see now, but now he's got more weight in his punch. Tony had some decent handspeed for awhile there, but he couldn't get a major fight like he's gotten now. ****, I think his biggest fight aside from Lewis, was Cintron back then.

I wasn't even watching boxing yet, but I looked at some video, and I can't believe he never got a fight with Mayorga. That would have been brutal. Would have been twice as better as this Cotto fight.

But this Margarito we're seein now is gonna get outboxed eventually, unless Tony gets that all natural red-bull in him, gets some premium focus, talkin about some dedicated concentration, to where he gets his reflexes exercised to the point his torso and head can slip away from fast punches. Not like Mayweather or anything, but more like Duran. If Tony can do that, I think he'll last a good minute at welterweight.

I really don't want to see him end up like a Cesar Bazan. Obviously tough, but too old to mount an offense for 12 rounds.
Nice post. Indeed, a fight with Mayorga back in '02 would have made Margarito an instant star, at least in boxing circles. Instead they continued to avoid him (while he took all the fights THEY didn't want to take: Cintron, Clottey, Williams) until one star finally stepped up.

No, Margarito is not in his prime and I don't think he's getting better. On the contrary, the Cotto war may affect him much like the Mugabi war affected Hagler. We shall see.