View Single Post
Old 08-29-2007, 06:41 AM
them_apples
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 22 them_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 8,018,622,337.27
Total Points: 8,219,763,811.73
For making sense -- a rarity on BoxingScene. - S a m u r a i You make sense. Cheers, bro! - FightFreak 
Send a message via MSN to them_apples

yea I should just say my list was my opinion on who I think are to be the best boxers to hit the ring.

As for the conditioning of today, yes I worded it wrong, I meant the era that holy field - Tyson came out of..so basically the 80's-early nineties. Fighters of today can be on the shoddy side.

Yes Joe Louis had almost 30 title defenses but his fights are boring, and against "bums" any boxer of today or yesterday could have knocked them out. Any great boxer of the 70's or 80's could have put Joe Louis in a body bag.

But Ali!? he just brainwashed everyone! A prime Joe Frazier knocked him out, why does that go unnoticed? He just barely beat foreman, he lost to Norton, he had to go 12 rounds with bums like Doug Jones in his prime..not to mention the many defeats he lost while he was older.
Sure ali has some titles under his name, but why do people view him as the greatest?

No my list does not have the best records (Larry Holmes' is fairly good) I can honestly not bring my self to put boxers like jack Johnson or Joe Louis on it because I know they wouldn't have a chance in hell against a peak conditioned fighter from the 80's and even the 70's. I put Tua on the list because he hits like a freight train, sure his career wasn't amazing (mainly due to his height) but Tua was a great fighter, nobody could hurt him!

EDIT: did you ever watch the documentary on the Tyson - Douglas fight? Tyson was skipping training and just partying, he even got knocked down by his sparring partner! do you think thats how the "focused" mike trains/fights? Tyson was great before the money got to his head, but he remains in history as one of the few boxers that simply could not be touched when in their primes. Tyson knocked the hell out of his opponents, sometimes it only took one punch! Other hitters like Marciano usually continually beat on there opposition until they finally dropped. and honestly, what chance does a 186-190 lbs Marciano have against a 250 lb peak conditioned lewis?

cheers

Last edited by them_apples; 08-29-2007 at 06:56 AM.