At least 13 people, including a three-year-old child, have been shot in a park in Chicago.
It is thought the attack happened in the Back of the Yards neighbourhood on the city's South Side at 10.15pm on Thursday.
Chicago Fire Department officials said the child was in a critical condition, as are two of the other victims.
"We had multiple victims shot, who were transported to various hospitals throughout the city," said James Mungovan, deputy district chief of the Chicago Fire Department.
No one is believed to be in custody.
Witness Julian Harris told the Chicago Sun-Times that men fired at him from a grey sedan before turning towards Cornell Square Park and firing at people in the area.
He said his three-year-old nephew was wounded in the cheek.
He said: "They hit the light pole next to me, but I ducked down and ran into the house.
"They've been coming round here looking for people to shoot every night, just gang-banging stuff. It's what they do."
Francis John, 70, said she was in her apartment when the attack happened.
She said she went down to see what was going on and "a lot of youngsters were running scared".
Ms John said she was surprised by what had happened, saying she has lived in the area for 30 years.
She told the Chicago Sun-Times there has not been much gun violence in the neighbourhood in recent years.
FBI figures have shown that Chicago has overtaken New York to become the murder capital of the US with 500 deaths in the last year.
President Barack Obama returned to his adopted hometown earlier this year to appeal for an end to the "senseless" gun violence ravaging Chicago.
He pressed for ambitious gun control measures, which so far have been stalled in the US Congress.