View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 04:59 PM
TheAuthority
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 8 TheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond reputeTheAuthority has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,109,043.20

Ray / Cuauhtémoc1520

Been thinking about the following recently and my experience tends not to follow conventional wisdom.

I have done several hundred rounds with one of our seniors boxer and he usually wears 16 oz gloves. However, his car is off the road at the moment so he has been running to the gym and leaving his kit bag at home - I have been loaning him my sons 12 oz to spar with me in for the last couple of weeks.

He's a strong lad and I really feel it when he lands with the 16 oz. However, with the 12 oz gloves his shots just don't seem quite as bad.

If you think about it, it kind of makes sense: Which would do the most damage ? A 2lb lump hammer or a 10 lb lump hammer?

I know the amount of padding obviously is an important factor but still I can definitely tell the difference between the 12 oz and the 16 oz gloves - and I definitely prefer to be hit with the 12 oz'ers.

Also, I can tell the difference in power when holding the mitts depending on glove size. I have held the mitts for my lad for hundreds of rounds in the 12 oz gloves but he sometimes wears 14 oz (which actually weight 15 oz on the scales) and his punches definitely seem harder with the 14 oz gloves.

Thing is, I am almost convinced heavier gloves result in more momentum but almost everyone in the boxing world tends to disagree - so on that basis I'm probably wrong haha but I'm not sure.

What are your thoughts on this?