View Single Post
Old 02-13-2013, 06:28 AM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,030,077,804.41
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKid View Post
Like I was sprinting up and down this steep hill and decided to work on my mental toughness at the same time so I pushed my self to run as fast and hard and as many times up the hill as I could and my heart just felt painful like it ached alot and I had to stop.

(I didnt warm up or stretch the first thing I did wast sprint up a steep hill as fast as I possible could and repeated it at full inetisty about 10 times, not too clever, but the intention was worthy)

So anyway that was about a year or 2 ago and now everytime I really push myself quite hard like with some high intenity work, especially without a warm up my heart gets this same aching feeling/pain and I have to stop due to pain.

No other symptoms.

Have I buggered my heart up?

Its very difficult to distinguish a heart problem from other chest pains due to excertion. My gut feeling is that your heart is probably ok, but you train beyond your fitness level to a ridiculous intensity without a warmup. The muscles in your chest and back will still be tight and your lungs will be insufficiently warmed up. You may get chest pains that feel like they come from the heart region that are in fact muscular.

First stop for you is to go to the doctors. A look at your blood pressure, resting pulse and possibly an ECG would be useful for determining if your heart is ok......even for your own reassurance.

But warm up well before high intensity exercise. You don't get fitter by doing one-off mega workouts......only by doing a consistent week by week plan that stretches you progressively.