View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 03:05 PM
Heavy Hitter
Contender

Rep Power: 5 Heavy Hitter has a spectacular aura aboutHeavy Hitter has a spectacular aura aboutHeavy Hitter has a spectacular aura about
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 13,679.18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBlanco View Post
YOU GUYS ARE ON CRACK.

Donaire vs. Mares is not a PPV. For all the hype, Donaire generates some of the lowest ratings on WCB (except when his fight was paired with the Pac replay), and Mares is far from a household name. If Chavez vs Martinez did 475k buys, how does two little guys fighting do 400-600k???

A $3m payment for either Donaire or Mares is HUGE. Consider that the top license fees at both HBO and Showtime are in the $3m range - so the license fee would cover only HALF of the main event, with nothing toward the purses and expenses of the other fighter, the undercard and bout costs.

And that stuff about HBO paying more money than Showtime is dead. Have you been watching lately? Did you see Showtime outbid HBO for Khan and Cotto? You think all the Golden Boy fighters at Showtime are accepting less than what they used to get at HBO???

I heard Arum was offering to buy Golden Boy out for $1.5m. Arum should take the $3m offer and run.
I agree. I've read some writers saying that showtimes BOXING budget was higher than HBO's in 2012. Fighters now can make as much money over there as to HBO.

Also to the point of Donaire-Mares being huge on PPV. On the scales of Martinez vs Chaves at 475k buys(Monster numbers btw). There is no way that Donaire vs Mares would get close to those buys unless the PPV was priced at a huge reduction, which still might not get it done!

Hard to see this fight on a PPV get over 250k buys on a $50-$55 suggested price.(Not that a 200k buy rate isn't a success in its self)