View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 08:46 AM
luke1979
Contender

Rep Power: 5 luke1979 has a reputation beyond reputeluke1979 has a reputation beyond reputeluke1979 has a reputation beyond reputeluke1979 has a reputation beyond reputeluke1979 has a reputation beyond reputeluke1979 has a reputation beyond reputeluke1979 has a reputation beyond reputeluke1979 has a reputation beyond reputeluke1979 has a reputation beyond reputeluke1979 has a reputation beyond reputeluke1979 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 42,212.49

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPOPPAPUMP View Post
By Lyle Fitzsimmons - I confess. I’d never been the biggest Bernard Hopkins fan.

In fact, it wasn’t all that long ago – while slaving for another boxing master – that I penned a column titled “Goodbye Bernard, Old Buddy” in the run-up to the old man’s (he was a month shy of 41 at the time) loss to Jermain Taylor in the second of their middleweight title fights in December 2005.

Back then, as his claim to the 160-pound fiefdom was finally loosened after 11 years, I was more than happy to break from collective media stride by both forecasting a second straight Taylor win (via stoppage, in 10 rounds) and questioning the idea that his prolonged run there had made him a legend.

The latter, incidentally, is a viewpoint I have no shame in maintaining here in 2013.

In my mind, had Hopkins retired after meeting JT once or twice, the resume he’d compiled while working the Allen/Hakkar/Mercado circuit – with a few ex-welterweights thrown in for flavor – would have warranted lasting respect from fans… but no celebratory plaque in upstate New York. [Click Here To Read More]
Boring Hopkins did indeed go to the wire with Calzaghe but lost and also embarrassed himself with his behavior. The omission of the word lost demonstrates bias, which understandable from the average idiot is a shame and telling from a professional journalist.
Those who maintain Hopkins won, either don't understand boxings rules or are again idiots.
Bernard is a gent and a wonderful guy I think, but the only time he would seriously say he deserved the win over Calzaghe is in front of a camera. In reality he is not that stupid to believe it honestly, but he knows most fans are.