View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 07:26 PM
QballLobo
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 8 QballLobo has a reputation beyond reputeQballLobo has a reputation beyond reputeQballLobo has a reputation beyond reputeQballLobo has a reputation beyond reputeQballLobo has a reputation beyond reputeQballLobo has a reputation beyond reputeQballLobo has a reputation beyond reputeQballLobo has a reputation beyond reputeQballLobo has a reputation beyond reputeQballLobo has a reputation beyond reputeQballLobo has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,050,073,987.99

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiaba360 View Post
I'm not sure if that statement is accurate. Mares has 26 bouts and has headlined (or been the co-feature) in his last 6 fights. Broner has 25 bouts and has headlined (or been the co-feature) in his last 6 fights. I'm sure casual fans remember when he blasted Litzau in 1, or when he got a disputed decision against Ponce, or just recently, when he beat the brakes off DeMarco. Didn't he break some TV record too? Not to mention that he's charismatic and is similar to Floyd as well. Mares is one of the more popular "little guys" in the sport, and he has an entertaining style to go with it. Add the fact that he's Mexican, and it makes it that much easier to sell the card. Maybe they don't bring in as much revenue as Canelo does. But I'm sure GBP will put them in legit match-ups that have the possibility of being competitive because they aren't protecting Mares/Broner.

I say, let Canelo have his own PPV and see what comes of it. Whether it's Mayweather or Canelo, somebody's gonna get their ego checked.
Casual boxing fans might know who they are, but joe shmoe looking for something to do on a Saturday night isn't going to care about anyone but the Mayweather fight. And let's face it, Guerrero is one of the least known opponents that Floyd as fought in years. I could see a lot of people sitting this one out, especially considering that a Pacquiao fight is not being talked about anymore.
Last time Floyd fought without Canelo being a part of it was Marquez and barely did a million on the PPV. Marquez had a lot of name recognition coming off the Pac fights and it was on Mexican independence weekend. Robert Guerrero couldn't be picked out of a line up by most sports fans. I say he needs Canelo more than people think, but we will see eventually.