View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 04:03 PM
greynotsoold
Contender

Rep Power: 3 greynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond reputegreynotsoold has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 5,009,562.90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBear View Post
It is always very sad when a fighter falls in the ring. I was watching tv that sad day when DuK Koo Kim fell against Boom Boom Mancini and that was the first time I had ever seen a fighter lose his life in the ring. It is not only a tragedy that the fighter loses his life but also sad for the family and friends of the fallen warrior. Such moments often severly affects the life of the other fighter as well.

I believe this was the case with Gabe Ruelas who stopped Jimmy Garcia back in 95. Garcia in his previous bout lost a decision to Genaro Hernandez for the WBA belt and this was a chance for Gabe Ruelas to show his skills in comparision. On the same night as his fight with Garcia, Gabe watched his brother Rafael get destroyed by De La Hoya and that wasn't enough, he had a good showing stopping Jimmy Garcia in the 11th round. Unfortunitely Garcia died of injuries after the fight. Gabe Ruelas was never the same after that night and many say it ruined him as a fighter.
Just days after the Mancini/Kim fight I was at the Dallas -Ft. Worth airport and saw the Korean amateur boxing team waiting for a flight. I remeber wondering what they were thinking about...