View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 02:38 PM
mconstantine
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 mconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond reputemconstantine has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 2,500,000,173,060.71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
This came up in my gym by one of my HW's who asked me the same thing. Here's what I teach and I hope it helps you out.

I agree with Floyd Sr in that putting your glove to your face is not good because you will absorb the impact of the shot anyway. So you can do two things, you can separate your arm from your face to absorb the impact or you can brace the top of the glove (or bottom of the glove, where the fingers are, don't know if it's technically the top or bottom lol)) on your forehead and brace your elbow to your body. That creates a sort of a brace that takes all the power off of the shot and onto your forearm.

I'm sure Floyd has done what you have said but if you look closely to him catching hooks, he turns his face away and deflects the power, he's very good at that. That comes with years of experience though.
Yea I guess I should clarify because this is a very technical discussion, but I am not advocating simply catching the hook with your glove against your face with no sort of rolling with the punch with your head and body. I typically do roll with the punch with my head and body as the hook lands, but with my glove against my face. I feel the impact, but I've never been closed to rocked catching hooks like that. DISCLAIMER: I can't recall ever catching one thrown full power this way.

But in the beginning of this video, you can see what I am talking about as Floyd demonstrates it. He doesn't just eat the punch with his glove on his face, he rolls his body and head with the punches to take some sting off.

I noticed Broner caught a lot of hooks this way against DeMarco as well. His glove was very plainly planted against his face. I would think this is one technique that would be even safer as an amateur with headgear than as a pro.