View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 04:11 PM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 14 Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 11,000,064,050.80
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas 

This was one of those nights in boxing that can devastate people when your there in person. I was!! Moochie was fighting Charlie Newall a very likeable young man who was fighting on a prison pass to work!! Charlie was an inmate at Somers Prison and qualified for the work release program there. His trainer and my older brother were good friends as kids and I brought my kids to Somers to take part in the prisons "in house" program. In fact my young welter beat Charlie in house the year before and Charlie beat him during the release effort a few months before the bout with Marlon!
Charlie was a comparable fighter who was pretty slick and had a good jab and long reach. Moochie caught him early and set the tone for the fight. I can't remember the exact round but I'll guess 5th or 6th Moochie caught him stepping back if I remember right and Charlie went down hard at the edge of the apron and the hall got quiet during the count!!! I was standing against the wall to the lockers and I knew it was bad, theres a feeling in boxing thats vety obvious when someone suffers a bad KO, its sickening!!!
Charlie never regained conscience and I think was pronounced dead a day or two, from the bout. Again I might have that actual detail wrong! I do remember Moochies trainer and manager Mac Buckley investigating Charlies past and finding that he was in a serious auto accident and he had suffered head injuries years before the bout that were very serious. Many thought the state had negated his total exam to be found fit to box or there was a mix up with the prisons exam paper work! Either way Charlie died and it hurt everyone who knew him. Moochie got a little relief from the findings but it bothered him then and I'm sure it still does! Moochie had and I'm sure still has a big heart!! ..........bless Charlie Newall!!!! Ray Corso