View Single Post
Old 01-10-2013, 03:37 AM
i_am_a_champ
Contender

Rep Power: 0 i_am_a_champ is infamous around these partsi_am_a_champ is infamous around these partsi_am_a_champ is infamous around these partsi_am_a_champ is infamous around these partsi_am_a_champ is infamous around these partsi_am_a_champ is infamous around these partsi_am_a_champ is infamous around these partsi_am_a_champ is infamous around these partsi_am_a_champ is infamous around these partsi_am_a_champ is infamous around these partsi_am_a_champ is infamous around these parts
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,029,517.01

I kinda had your problem dude.

I would be very gun shy and very wary of straight right hands. I would seldom unleash combos.

I had some sort of fear that i couldnt put my finger on. I just didnt want to get hit.

This had me not engaging much or ever going to the body with a left hook to the body ( fear of getting hit with a right hand ). I would stick to straight shots, jabs to the body, etc.

I became very slippy. It kinda helped in a way.

But....

like you said your self...i wanted to throw more, engage more. I still liked my style of evading shots and getting into better positions but i wanted to throw more.

I found my problem.

It dated back to autmun 2008.

Very new to the fight game. Some dumb ass trainer put me in the ring with a kid who was around 180lbs at least and i weighed at most 140lbs-145lbs , at most.

I didnt have a head guard on then.

Anyway, it was the very first time i sparred and didnt have a clue what i was doing nor was there any supervision.

All i remember was getting clocked with what must have been a savage right hand. I stumbled to my right but i remained on my feet. I heard bells and a ringing noise in my head. My jaw hurt for a week.

I never knew that experience affected me so much. The boxing gym i am at now is a million times better at training boxing. Light years ahead. I am so glad i joined this gym. Very proffesional and humble guys and its hard to find such people when looking for gyms and trainers.

Anyway, i realised this experience caused me trauma. I embraced it and overcame it.

Although i am still cautious when i fight , i let my hands go a whole lot more now and i am even more slippery as i try to use head movement to get in and land shots.

Just thought id write that to help u.

peace