View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Anthony342
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 Anthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond reputeAnthony342 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 5,196,468.15
Total Points: 120,120,313,699.85
Good Poster with an open mind. - Barnburner Merry Christmas Anthony! keep on postin - The Surgeon For always keeping your cool and objectivity - BKM-2010 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarj View Post
Ali won the rematch for two reasons:

1) He trained harder, came in lighter and in much better shape and danced much more. In fight one he gave several rounds away rope a doping and fighting flat footed.

2) Spinks simply wasn't as motivated and didn't train as hard for the rematch. His trainer walked out mid fight from what I remember because he didn't feel that Neon Leon was making much of an effort. I gather that Leon may have already embarked on his much publicised cocaine habit.

If the Spinks from fight one met Ali from Spinks two, I think we'd have seen a closer fight. In fight one there is no denying that Spink's stamina and workrate were world class.........he was a real handful with excellent amateur pedigree and some good head movement. He never hit that form again!
Cool. When did they start calling him Leon Neon? Just wondering because there was a neon light do it yourself product for kids in the '80s that had the same name. Wonder if it was named after Spinks.