View Single Post
Old 01-06-2013, 06:37 PM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,030,078,885.46
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony342 View Post
The first time? Yeah, he kind of looked that way. How did he win the rematch though? Did Ali just have a better game plan and was Spinks just not experienced enough at that point? Or was it something else?

I thought he was shot by the time he fought Holmes.
Ali won the rematch for two reasons:

1) He trained harder, came in lighter and in much better shape and danced much more. In fight one he gave several rounds away rope a doping and fighting flat footed.

2) Spinks simply wasn't as motivated and didn't train as hard for the rematch. His trainer walked out mid fight from what I remember because he didn't feel that Neon Leon was making much of an effort. I gather that Leon may have already embarked on his much publicised cocaine habit.

If the Spinks from fight one met Ali from Spinks two, I think we'd have seen a closer fight. In fight one there is no denying that Spink's stamina and workrate were world class.........he was a real handful with excellent amateur pedigree and some good head movement. He never hit that form again!